sharing a power supply on ldd boards

skanderson

I now have another question on my led build. I plan on using ldd drivers on 4up boards. I plan on using meanwell 350 48 power supplies. I was planning on 5 power supplies and 10 ldd boards. but each group of leds, one line on a back heatsink and 2 groups on a front heatsink will total out to over 7 amps. I plan on running 3 500mA vero on the back sink powered by one 1500mA ldd that is split into 3 parallel lines, and each front heatsink is running 2 vero at 1500 mA. that gives me 4.5 amps per each group of 5. I was wondering in you can put power in from 2 meanwell 350 48 into 3 4 up boards. this would let me use fewer power supplies and save some hassel in wiring. another option is to run the vero at 1.2 amps and the royal blues luxeon ms at 700mA instead of 1000 mA. anyone able to understand what I am asking and have any helpful suggestions.

The meanwell 350-48 has a max of 48v and 7 Amps output so you can split those 7 amps up into different boards for your ldds with running them parallel.

How many groups of the 5 leds are you wanting to power total? Do you have a link for the leds you’re using? One power supply is more than enough for a group of 5 leds for how you have it arranged above.

If you mean current sharing, unless they are designed for it, not a particularly good idea..

I think I will just run the leds all at around 70 percent max. that will keep each front and back heatsink combo under 7.3 amps. I will try to get some pics of the build up when I have time but that will be in feb at the earliest. when I say 5 groups I mean r units. each back heat sink has 9 rb ,9 violet, 2 blue, and 3 vero 13s that are each running at 500mA for 15 watts each vero. the front heatsinks each contain 2 groups each of which has 1 vero 19s running at 1500 mA for about 45 watts ea, 1 deep red,2 blues, one sub group of 1 ea lime, mint, and cyan, then 2 12 watt luxeon m royal blues, and 2 12 watt violets. so there will be a total of 10 4 up driver boards if I run everything at 70 percent. if I want to go to full power on them all I will need to add 2 more driver boards, but then I wont be able to keep them running one of the 5 sections over my tank partnered up with my current 400 watt radiums.

Back