Should I get this clam?

Aaron1100us

Hello. I went to our local Petco the other day and saw that they have three small Maxima Clams in. One is about 2 inches and the others are an inch or so. The lighting is horrible in the tan, only a couple of antinic lights. And when I asked what and how they feed these tiny clams, they told me that they eat the zooplankton from the coralvite that they add. I told him that the best thing to do was to take them out and target feed them phytoplankton in a bowel and he said that would cause too much stress. As you can tell from the way they take care of them, these poor clams are going to die unless someone who knows what they are doing buys them. I think my tank is ready but am I? My 29 gallon tank is one year and three months old with a 400w metal halide. It also has a 20 gallon refugium. If I was to get one of these clams, how often do you target feed? Is the bowel idea a good one? How exactly do you target feed them? Can it go on the sand? Would it be ok in a place with good current? I don't know a whole lot about clams but I would like to know enough to possibley save on of these that are sure to die if they stay in the store. Thanks

I understand your delima..I certianly do. The only thing is once you buy those/one, they will replace it with another, and the cycle continues.....(im guilty as charged too...)

but..i think you got the lighting for sure!...most place a little phyto in a bowl, place clam in and allow him to filter the water..I believe 3is x's a week is good until he gets around 3+ inches, then your lighting will kick in....Im sure my friend that others will kick in and offer better advice than me...good luck to you.

Hello, thanks for the advice. The guy at Petco said that this is the first time they've had clams for over a year and I don't remember ever seeing any at this Petco before. So I hope I'm safe in saying that they shouldn't get any more in for a long time. I really hope that someone that knows what they are doing buys them, if not, I'm going to try my best at keeping one. Any more advice? Oh, what do I look for, health wise, in these small clams? With them not being fed at the store for a week or two, will that keep them from getting healthy? The mantles look great, they are open and I've seen them close and the color is black with blue dots. Thanks

One thing to make sure of is make sure you can't look down through the incurrent siphon of the mantle and see the gravel beneath them through the bottom side of the clam. This is an almost sure sign that the clam is near death and probably won't make it much longer. Freed

check for bleaching as well..should look like someone took a eraser and tried to erase the collor...definaltly no gaping!..also, look for good reaction to shadows/movement overhead. Check and make sure the bysal gland is ok..no damage. Dont, I mean dont forget to check for pyramid snails..there very small and conical in shape. These will feast on the clams. Again, good luck to ya!

Actually,feeding is not required at all for small clams.Mine are like 2.25" right now-from about 1.75",and I never feed them.

i don't target feed mine clams and they are growing great. i add DT's to the tank, 30ml on a 90, twice per week. i have a 1.5" and 2.5" maximas and 3.5" crocea. i also skim heavily with a beckett skimmer and they are doing great.

Depending on how much small particulates make their way into your water column, you may or may not have to target feed them. Handling the clam in general is not a good idea though. Cut the top off a plastic 1 or 2 liter bottle, and place it over the clam. Target feed by injecting through the top and allow to remain for 15-20 minutes before removing it. This way they don't suffer bacterial exposure and/or changes in temperature.

Depending why it bleached in the first place, perhaps. Most of the time it's a temporary condition due to some form of environmental stress.

If the clam is small (< 3") and bleached due to transport or disruption, target feeding can have a positive effect. If it's increased lighting, slow acclimation to the new lighting level will help, etc.

Back