Should I Raise My Scape/Rock Height?

BigBoi5680

Just set up my scape in the 210 and it's roughly 16" high at the highest point in a 30" high tank. Should I add more rock to make it higher? It's roughly 75lbs of BRS Pukani.

Also, I will be using an ATI 8x80W Sunpower fixture which I mounted underneath my canopy, so it's only about 6" off the water line, if that impacts your responses at all. Any insights/suggestions/critiques you have to offer are welcomed!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341709559.436764.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 0
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341709590.870548.jpg
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341709604.356421.jpg
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341709620.419356.jpg
Last edited:
no pics for me either, but something to consider is the amount of space you want to leave for coral growth and swimming. envision the tank a few years from now, with things grown out some. what would it look like then? if you filled the tank now, would you still need all that rock work or would it be in the way?

Let me try and add them this way.......

Attachments

• Scape 1.jpg
    Scape 1.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 0
  • Scape 2.jpg
    Scape 2.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 1
  • Scape 3.jpg
    Scape 3.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 1
  • Scape 4.jpg
  • Scape 5.jpg
    Scape 5.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 1
Definitly higher, maybe 3/4s of the tank high would look nice. What are you planning to keep? The lights should be more then enough SPS even at the level you have now.

it's up to you what you want the tank to look like. there's a thread on here somewhere called minimalist aquascaping (i think that's what it's called) that has some really nice looking tanks put together with less rock than 'normal'. the thing to avoid, imo, is packing rock too tightly together and or too high, preventing flow and using up all the space that coral will grow into. i think you've done a good job with the rocks you have now and honestly, if you like it then you're done. if you want to add some more you can do that too. just don't get too carried away.

As previously stated, it depends on what you want to keep. I will be maintaining SPS corals and I also like Anthias. Therefore to provide both growing and swimming room, I prefer to keep my rock work low and open.

June-12-Reeftank.jpg

May look 'unfinished' now but give it a year or two.

Thanks! As it stands right now, I'm only planning on keeping only LPS. I am ok with how it looks, may add one more decent sizes peak.

I would leave it as is, it has a nice design and the open look is a good one. I too prefer the low rock look and the fish will appreciate the swimming room.

I like the aquascaping. Remember that when your tank is fully grown in you won't be able to see the rock work. Some easy to keep, tall photosynthetic gorgonians would make for a pleasing contrast to the generally low-lying, boulder shaped lps you fond of. And they'd be able to grow quite tall with that rock work.

I would not raise it. Most corals look better when viewed from slightly above the coral. As corals take over all the rock, it will look best with a low "minimalist" look.

Back