Should there be new stickys

jimbo78

Premium Member
Since there has been a lot of talk about this lately I figured a thread would be a good place for us to discuss.

I think there should be a second look here thread for short answers. The problem with the one that's there now is there is just to much info. Some of the threads by sk8r and kar93 and others have been great info that are shorter easier read and just cover certain subject like cycling, qt tanks, water params and dosing just to name a few. Having thread like that where people can ask question also rather than just read an article would be great IMO.

Just my $.02

Discuss

I thought of that, but the threads of which I speak of are in new to the hobby. Also more people view this forum and seem to need the help here.

I agree you will still bet a better response from the mods if you post in the feedback forum.

if they do make new stickies they can put them in the new to the hobby forum.

I posted this to see if I'm the only one that thinks that or if there are others. I've never been to the feedback forum as I'm sure others haven't either. I've seen other say that they have pm'd mods and gotten no reponse but if a lot of people on this forum reply that they want more maybe it will make a difference. If there are only a couple people that think its a good idea then its not going to happen.

Not necessarily new ones, but additions would be nice...like a Tang Sticky since there isn't a Tang forum.

I agree that it would be helpful to break the information that is found at the sticky into smaller chunks of information with informative titles like, "I think my fish has ich, what do I do?" or "How do I know when my tank has cycled?". I sent that suggestion to one of the mods on here via a PM and did not get a response. Or as HumanIMDB said, "Tangs--basic info". Hopefully it would cut down on some of the same questions being asked over and over by people who have not bothered to read the sticky at the top.

Yeah if we (newbies) all went to the stickys at the top, then what would you (those with all the experience) talk about? For the first few days you would come back and forth to RC and see what was posted that you could respond to, but in the days following your addiction to helping the reef needy would be broken. Slowly and painfully.

I appreciate all the help I get in short order around here!:strooper:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12860449#post12860449 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by otrlynn
Hopefully it would cut down on some of the same questions being asked over and over by people who have not bothered to read the sticky at the top.

if they didn't read the stickies before, what makes you think they would read the new ones?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12860670#post12860670 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kau_cinta_ku
if they didn't read the stickies before, what makes you think they would read the new ones?

Your point is probably well taken...I just thought perhaps if the title of the sticky was self-explanatory it would catch the attention of someone looking for info on that topic.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12860670#post12860670 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kau_cinta_ku

Yikes!

As someone who actually HAS read many of the stickys and uses the search somewhat frequently (love the recently mentioned google search idea btw, can't remember who posted it) I can say that some of the stickys are quite overwhelming for me and shorter or less detailed ones would be helpful in addition to what's there.

I recently decided to upgrade my lighting and spent two evenings reading the lighting info & in the end had to ask a few questions anyway.

I vote YES to some additional newbie info in a more point form or pros/cons format.

sorry didn't mean to sound harsh about it, I to agree there should be added stickies.

just seems like some ppl bypass all stickies anyway. rather then research a little, they just post their quesion to get a quick answer. which is fine, keeps me busy :D

IMHO - being a moderator/site admin on another site (not fish) - I find stickies to be helpful - I glanced at the stickies here but found them to be hard to follow, and lacking of what the information I was looking for.

A lot of times a single stickied, locked that points to the most common questions and topics can actually be quite helpful. The current sticky does have helpful links - but ones that point to threads that someone has to go through pages and pages of posts are sometimes not too helpful.

The AZFrag forum has a couple of stickies in it - one explains the group and when the meetings are, another has a list of the lfs's. Clean, simple, and to the point.

Last edited:
Back