Silent Powerhead for a 5 Gallon Nano Reef

Jackpaddock

Alright so I have a dilemma and it is kind of annoying. I am going to college next year and I'm taking my Fluval Evo v nano reef with me to my dorm room. currently i have a Koralia 150 power head for my water flow ad it makes a ton of noise for such a little thing. I clean it constantly but it keeps getting louder as I have it running. It doesn't bother me too much when i sleep but I would like to be courteous of my room mate and make it more silent if I can? Does anyone one have any recommendations for a quiet powerhead for a small nano reef or how to make my pump more quite. I know i could just take out the powerhead and only have the stock return pump running but i do have some SPF in the tank and need enough flow for them.

I had a Hydor Nano 425 in a 10G and it was "quiet" enough.. (quiet is relative)..
Not many choices out there for such small tanks..
Try the Nano 240.. Return it if you don't like it.. Amazon it..

Tunze 6040 is small and controllable. Not cheap, but will last a long time and can be used in your next, larger tank.

Another vote for the Tunze 6040. I have 4 of them in use on various tanks - they are silent unless you really crank them near 100% full output.

I have a koralia 425 and a jebao sw2 in my 5 gallon I would consider both silent, as i can hear the mj1200 return pump over both of them and it is pretty quiet too.

Back