Silicone turning yellow

Vorog

I built a 40b sump and used GE1 silicone to glue in the glass baffles. This is not my first sump I have built with that silicon but this is the first time I have ever seen the silicone have a highlighter yellow film on it. Some of it I can wipe off with a toothbrush I use for cleaning my pumps. But some of it it really on there. I know the silicone is reef safe and doesn't have any anti mold chemicals in it. Like I said my other tanks use that same silicone and they have been up and running for 3 years. I let this sump cure for two weeks while I built the stand for my tank. So either it's algae growing on it or something. Anyone else have this issue?

Try wiping your glass to see if the same film comes off, might be more noticeable on silicone because its not completely clear. I'm thinking its just diatoms or something.

189273e079a7f5b77c3623e46d5b2dfe.jpg

I wiped the glass and didn't notice anything come off. But on my heater I had a little film on it I didn't have yellow coloring to it.

I'm interested in what you find out, because my sump is doing the exact same thing. I used the same silicone. I'm not seeing any signs of stress in my saphire damsels at this point, but following along.

Back