Single mp40 vs maxspect gyre

jon007

anyone have any experience or opinions on running a single MP40 vs a single maxspect gyre. Either one would be the same price, with the recent price drop, but I see most people running vortechs in pairs. Tank is a 65g, 36" long. Thanks!

thebigblue

I've got the same question. My tank is a 30"x30" 93g cube.

From what I've learned from a little research...

Gyre 150

Pros: The hot new thing"¦moves a LOT of water"¦slim, clean design

Cons: Some guys say build quality is poor"¦some guys having problems with noise from the pump"¦it can move TOO much water in smaller tanks like ours (?)

Vortech mp40

Pros: Price drop to $300"¦been around awhile"¦good track record"¦a pretty clean look, cords outside the tank"¦moves a reasonable amount of water"¦programmable

Cons: Can be loud?"¦Might be overpriced compared to the competition even at $300?"¦you may need two of them to really get the flow of the Gyre (?)

I don't know. I'm going back and forth. I'm kinda waiting for this new Gyre 130 to hit (any day?!) to see how it compares to the 150.

Looking forward to what other people have to say.

ArmanS

For the same price MP40 Hands down!

MUCH better build quality, much better controller, have been around forever and have a great reputation and you can add another down the road if needed.

Miz40B

I'm waiting on the Gyre FX-130. People selling the mp40's like hot cakes....gotta be a reason.

Waters40

I am running the Gyre 150 in a 60 gallon mixed reef at 10% and absolutely love it. It is the width of the tank so there are 0 dead spots. I used it to replace 4 Hydor powerheads of various sizes.....it is nice to be able to just turn it on and not worry about the "perfect" powerhead placement.

Wazzel

I'm waiting on the Gyre FX-130. People selling the mp40's like hot cakes....gotta be a reason.

People selling the MP40's it totally exaggerated. Who actually know the percent of users selling there MP40's? There are lots of them out there so there will always be a noticeable amount on the used market. Also there will always be some people chasing the next big thing, does not mean the product they are selling is bad.

evolutionZ

mp40 was a great invention, but the next big thing is here. a single mp40 will not be enough for that tank. But i believe a single xf-130 will be.

biecacka

I don't think a single grye is solution for all tanks. I use 2 mp40's on my tank and don't know if 1 grye would work. I've thought about it but for the money if hate it not to be enough.

Corey

reefer roman

I have 2 93 gallon cube tanks with one of them I have the gyre and the other one I have an MP 40 and a tunze controllable power head. I get more flow from the gyre on the one tank than the two on the other.with that said I believe the quality of the MP 40s are better than the gyre and the gyre is also a little more noisier than the vortechs. I like the flow better with the gyre but wish the build quality was better. Only time will tell if the gyre will last as long as a vortechs.

biecacka

For larger tanks tho ppl are struggling with 1 grye. I have a 48/48/24 cube. Are you telling me that one grye can move my entire water column better than my current 2 MP40's?

Corey

Fogvalley

I have one mp40 on a 6 ft and it has to be cranked to flow the length, but I have great flow to mid tank. So I'd say one would be sweet on a smaller tank. But I have not tried the gyre

jon007

Seems like everyone is pretty split, which is in line with everything I have read. Thanks everyone for their input, I'm still torn...

itzonlithai

I'm in the same position as you, with a 36" 66 gallon. Decided to go with a single MP40 for now, and maybe another down the road if need be. Reason being, Ecotech has a proven product that is reliable and is backed by great customer support.

From what I've heard CoralVue provides decent support, but the QC from Maxspect seems to be lacking from what I gather on the big Gyre thread here. IMO, the MP40 was the safe choice while the XF150 is a bit of a gamble.

BryanS4

I'm in the same position as you, with a 36" 66 gallon. Decided to go with a single MP40 for now, and maybe another down the road if need be. Reason being, Ecotech has a proven product that is reliable and is backed by great customer support.

From what I've heard CoralVue provides decent support, but the QC from Maxspect seems to be lacking from what I gather on the big Gyre thread here. IMO, the MP40 was the safe choice while the XF150 is a bit of a gamble.

Good call, you won't be disappointed.

that Fish Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
Gyre replaces 2 MP-40's not 1.

I talked to one Guy that Sold $1,000 worth of Tunze's and says he gets better Flow with just one Gyre than all those Tunze's.

chema

I think you are missing the key point. With a single Maxspect XF you' ll get a gyre flow of water in the tank. With a single Vortech you won't get it.

biecacka

I talked to one Guy that Sold $1,000 worth of Tunze's and says he gets better Flow with just one Gyre than all those Tunze's.

Are you telling me that the one grye can replace my 2mp40's on my cube? 48/48 inches wide?

Corey

itzonlithai

Yeah, but in OP's and my case (a 3' tank), it'll only be replacing one MP40. Hence the title, "Single mp40 vs maxspect gyre." I'm not bashing the Gyre at all, I gave it a lot of thought and it's probably a great pump, but the MP40 is definitely a good pump and has a proven track record and that's why I went with it.

Are you telling me that the one grye can replace my 2mp40's on my cube? 48/48 inches wide?

Corey

It won't cover the whole tank in the horizontal orientation, but it might if positioned vertically.

biecacka

There are numerous people stating that the flow in their larger tanks is less than desired. I'm not saying these pumps are not great, I beleieve they are very good. However people with larger tanks and footprints need multiple ones. Especially depending on the aquascape. I would be interested is someone with a large tank with a few hundred pounds of rock placing one in the tank and eliminating all other pumps.
I'm watching a thread on here with a person contemplating a same footprint as mine. He is interested in the grye for his tank. Hope he reads this thread and knows he can go with a single pump

Corey