skimmate color

I'd like to know this as well. My skimmate is always green, but everyone else's is brown. I have always wondered if my skimmer isn't working right or if I'm doing something wrong!

I would equate it more to a function of how your skimmer is working than how dirty the tank is.

Most skimmate is dark green and the more concentrated the skimmed proteins are the darker it is. If you have a skimmer that removes a higher ratio of water to proteins (wet skimming) the skimmate will look lighter (greener) in color. If you skim drier, (less water) the skimmate will be thicker and darker.

Wet - You are pulling out saltwater with the crap.
Dry - You are pulling out just the crap.

Wet makes it seem like its doing more. But if you set it to dry and something dies in the tank, the skimmer will not go as crazy as if it started wet.

I like wet. You get less build up on the skimmers neck which helps with performance.

Also skimmate color can change based on what supplement or food you are using.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11618187#post11618187 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by USC-fan
I like wet. You get less build up on the skimmers neck which helps with performance.

Also skimmate color can change based on what supplement or food you are using.

Exactly! Plus by adding a bit more RO then saltwater you're assuring yourself that the salinity won't creep on your tank.

A week ago, my collection cup was always pulling out the heavy green skimmate. The first day I installed the UV sterilizer, my skimmate collection came out brown. Both skimmate have the same consistency.

Its all skimmate. :)

IMHO, wet skimming seems more effective. Its also more of a pain in the butt to clean the cup so often. Nothing wrong with dry skimming though!

Back