Skimmer acting crazy

jlaudiofreak

The other night I was down in my fish room after all the lights went out and I noticed my skimmer was going crazy. So I just thought maybe it had something to do with the food I feed them eairler. In the morning I checked the skimmer and it was back to skimming fine. well I didnt feed anything tonight just to see if anything and sure enough after the lights went out the skimmer started wet skimming like crazy. I am at a loss what could be making my skimmer go crazy at night after the lights go out?

No additives , and nothing in my tank that would spawn. Thne same thing happened last night.
I did notice this morning the my sand bed is starting to get a dark brown / redish color algea growing on the top layer.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14771146#post14771146 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jlaudiofreak
No additives , and nothing in my tank that would spawn. Thne same thing happened last night.
I did notice this morning the my sand bed is starting to get a dark brown / redish color algea growing on the top layer.

Reddish color "algae" is not likely algae, but a bacteria that is usually called algae. I see what you mean though.

I hear of differant reasons. Mainly high nutrients. Its funny because when I had it, my readings all read zero, so I am not sure. If you ask around you will get alot of differant explanations. I think that it has something to do with a raunchy sandbed. Try sucking some up and smelling it, pretty nasty stuff. Then smell a piece of liverock, night and day.

see thats the thing, all my test are fine. my sand bed is only alittle over a year old. The (algea) is growing in High flow areas . So I am at a loss. I just was wondering if there was something going on sence my skimmer is going crazy at night and the bacteria starting to grown. I only feed once every other day and I only feed the fish a little at a time so I only feed them what they eat then I stop

I wish I could help you. When is the last time you tweaked the skimmer? Oh, have you put a new filter sock or sponge in there before skimmer acted up?

I havent done anything to the skimmer, no new sock or sponges, nothing has changed. I just checked the skimmer and sure enough it is freaking out again

A long shot here, but is it getting a power increase after the lights go out? If your power strip is overloaded it might be robbing power from the skimmer pump while the lights are on. Then they go off and give it full power...

Back