Skimmer recommendation - external

jdhanover

From what I can tell of my sump etc, I will run an external skimmer. Any recommendations?

I had settled on the ASMG-3 but I think that must be internal.

Yowza - they are nice but pricey....starting to think that I should get the ASM G-3, stick in in a small tub and then feed the sump from there. Is that a resonable thing to do?

At a 135g tank it is really an even playing field for beckets and needlewheels. Of cocurse this depends on your stocking levels and desired nutrient levels. I would plan on getting equipment that would allow you to keep the most demanding corals-sps, because well it seems in the end thats where everyone ends up at :)

In general I feel needlewheels are better for smaller tanks with beckets being better suited for larger tanks.

Personally I have never seen anything compare to the gunk a becket skimmer can pull out.

I would look into MRC skimmers. They are upgradeable too...

eric&flint

Re: Skimmer recommendation - external

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6930900#post6930900 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jdhanover
From what I can tell of my sump etc, I will run an external skimmer. Any recommendations?

I had settled on the ASMG-3 but I think that must be internal.

Check out deltecs and H&S external skimmers, best performers hands down, pricey but very effective. They both have forums on reefcentral here.

Deltecusa.us
Finsreef.com

Thanks, guys...going to read through the long thread on skimmers that Waterkeeper referred me to.
Sounds like I may be better off with an ''internal' one in a small container and then drain from there to the sump.
Separately - I thought the ASM prices include the pump, thus they looked like a better price. Am I wrong?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6933370#post6933370 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jdhanover
Thanks, guys...going to read through the long thread on skimmers that Waterkeeper referred me to.
Sounds like I may be better off with an ''internal' one in a small container and then drain from there to the sump.
Separately - I thought the ASM prices include the pump, thus they looked like a better price. Am I wrong?

Yes ASM, Octopus, and ER skimmersbdo come with a pump. With A PM (great skimmer too!) You will need to spend close to $200 or more for a good pressure pump to drive a beckett skimmer. I have a few beckets running (PMs, Geo's and MRC ) and i like them all, but if I have to buy any more skimmers, it will be a needlewheel design . (which I also have a few of already)

I've been running an ASM for almost a year now and have been very happy with it's performance. The prices do include the pump. Good skimmer for the money.

Aerofoamer looks great but I am looking at some used skimmers. Have been offered a AquaC EV-120. Thoughts? Especially is it big enough? I plan on FOWLR (small fish) with a DSB to start. Eventually corals (softies) though not sure when (lighting costs etc). Thinking to maybe start with this and upgrade down the road if needed. But want to be sure that this can handle this size tank/load.
Am planning to go slow (heck, I have been at this for 3 months and yet to order the tank!)
Thanks

I have an Aqua-C EV-180 on a 120-gallon reef and I'm very happy with it, but wouldn't think that an EV-120 would be big enough for a 135-gallon reef. It would more than likely be fine if it's fish only...and stays fish only. In that event, I'd get a good amount of live rock, like 135-pounds, or maybe half live and half base to save you a good deal of money...and not use the DSB....WOW....I just realized that I posted here while doing a search for something and didn't notice the date of the last post...SO...what skimmer did you wind up going with, jd?

wow - this was out of the archives!

FYI Avi I wound up with the ASM G4 and with just some (not a ton) of live rock, it is pulling out loads of scum.

Back