Skimmer recommendation for 90 gallon tank

cplawrence

I have a 90 gallon tank with built in overflow and an Eshopps R-200 sump (11.5" x 13.5" skimmer chamber). It houses primarly LPS corals and a single kole tang. I do anticipate increasing the bioload with other fish down the road, but always keep it on the low to very low side. I currently have a Coralife Super Skimmer and after a few years of trying to coax it to work with any degree of consistency I am finally ready to give up on it. What would your recommendations be?

Thank you in advance.

what's your budget and chamber dimensions?

sorry just saw the dimensions (der, der, der) 🥴

just need budget. there are quite a few well performing skimmers out there

Last edited:
here are a few to look at

internal pump skimmers:
ATB elegance 150 RS (my next skimmer)
Aquamaxx ConeS Q-2
Bubble magus curve 7 elite (sicce)
Ultrareef Akula UKS 160 ($ higher end but top notch build quality-i have the original UKS 160 and it rocks)

external pump skimmers (easier to access and clean):
Reef Octopus Classic 150 int
Reef Octopus regal 150 int
Aquamaxx ConesS RC-2
LifeReef SVS3-24 (old school injector skimmers but can work with any pressure rated pump)

what's your budget and chamber dimensions?

sorry just saw the dimensions (der, der, der) 🥴

just need budget. there are quite a few well performing skimmers out there
I would like to keep the cost in the ballpark of $300-400, but given the frustrations I have had with my current skimmer, I would be willing to go higher if that were the recommendation.

Last edited:
in that price range i would look at the ATB. I've had three ATB's and all have been top notch performers.

the aquamaxx Q-2 and RC-2 would be good too. their cone air nozzles off the bubble plate can be a little time consuming to clean though.

1 year review of the Q-2

oh, forgot to mention the 2 aquamaxx skimmers have the shark 2.0 which is a rebranded sicce syncra. good pumps!

the ATB has the Sicce PSK.

Great—thanks for the advice.
just was in contact with ATB since i was inquiring about the elegance 150 RS for myself.

i had some confusion between the aquariumtechnik version and the ATB USA version

ATB USA has the 150 RS which doesn't come with the sicce anymore and has the custom ATB volute with a jecod DC pump.

they also have the elegance 150 (not RS version) and that has a newjet DC pump with a newjet volute.

I'm going with the 150 RS version when i'm ready to buy in September.

the jecod skimmer pump on my "nano one" has been nothing short of fantastic and has lasted me years now.

I purchased a reef octopus regal (external model) and couldn’t be happier. By far the most easy to adjust and stable skimmer that I have ever fiddled with. The DC pump Is pretty much a must have.

Back