Skimmerless octopus setup

larsson

Is it possible to do a 29 gallon Bimac setup skimmerless with just a deep sand bed and live rock as filtration with powerheads?

I guess anything's possible. I have a bimac in a 29 gallon (which I've come to feel is way too small) with a bak pak 2 skimmer. She's inked a little once and she opened a rotten mussel once. Both times I was very thankful for the skimmer. It quickly pulls everything out of the water. Octos are also very messy eaters. I would say it's definitely worth the $100 or so for the skimmer...you'll be glad you hve it one day.

You could go skimmerless if you hooked up a small 5 gallon refugium. A skimmer helps to put more oxygen in the water and is great for removing ink. Carbon works well to remove ink, but needs changing often to be effective.

cephalopoder said:
You could go skimmerless if you hooked up a small 5 gallon refugium. A skimmer helps to put more oxygen in the water and is great for removing ink. Carbon works well to remove ink, but needs changing often to be effective.
So, you could actually use a biowheel filter in place of a skimmer?

A biowheel will put out nitrates. That is something you want to remove from your system. You can use a regular power filter with only a bag of carbon and no sponge or bio media. This will allow you to run water though a good bag of carbon. I would advise against the bio wheel if you are going with a deepsand bed anf trying to reduce nitrates.

cephalopoder said:
A biowheel will put out nitrates. That is something you want to remove from your system. You can use a regular power filter with only a bag of carbon and no sponge or bio media. This will allow you to run water though a good bag of carbon. I would advise against the bio wheel if you are going with a deepsand bed anf trying to reduce nitrates.

I know that you should not use a tank which has had medication containing copper used in it before unless you clean it out with certain chemicals. However, how is a filter? Does it need to be cleaned with the same chemicals as well or is it safe to use after rinsing well?

For a octopus, I wouldn't risk any piece of aquarium equiptment that has had copper or other medications running though it. Who knows you might be ok, but is it really worth the risk?

I've been having trouble setting up my skimmer. Does anyone have pictures of how their setup is? That would be great.

A 29 gallon tank is a minimum size set-up for an octopus. To go skimmerless on that small of a tank is not wise. Octo's eat like pigs! Octo's also ink! Skimmers not only assist to remove both of these potential disasters waiting to happen but they also OXYGENATE the water. Oct's need highly oxygenated water. Yes a refugium would add oxygen but it could not handle the waste output or inking capacity of an octo. On the other hand a very small octo (pygmy) could live quite well in a 29 gallon without a skimmer. Avoid anything that will grow to the size of a Bi-mac in that set-up. The problem then becomes - not just acquiring an octopus but acquiring a pygmy octopus. All in all spend the dough on a skimmer and sleep well at night knowing your giving one of the top ten smartest animals in the world the best possible home. FYI- having an octopus is like having a dog. All of my octo's have been trained to eat from my hand and interact with me on a daily basis!

Energy said:
All in all spend the dough on a skimmer and sleep well at night knowing your giving one of the top ten smartest animals in the world the best possible home.

4th smartest in the world:lol:

it's an Aquaclear Aquatics skimmer, and it's venturi driven. I think I might have the situation under control, but I'll be able to tell better in the morning.

Back