Slow growth with LED's ?

JVD BVI

My tank now is small, 17 gallon, SPS dominant using a Mars Aqua LED 's.

I know this is a very general statement and there are many other factors involved, but I am wondering if my slow growth is due to LED's.

With my 90 gallon tank up north I had phenomenal SPS growth with a crappy old T5 fixture.

I know this has been discussed ad nauseam but just wondering some of the locals thoughts on LED vs T5 ?

My results have been mixed. Some things (montipora specifically) I see noticable growth week to week. Others grow gradually slowly. I think one of my scans grew two polyps (four total) in about a year and I have an unknown acro that has grown maybe 1/2" during the same time. Another acro has grown an,inch or more since december

I'm with Safir,

When I had LEDs only, I would see some SPS corals grow great and some pretty stagnant. However, now that I have a hybrid LED/T5, I see new growth on almost all corals on a weekly basis. I even got an ORA Scripts a few weeks back from Oblio and it has now overgrown the epoxy blob I used to stick it to the rock work.

I guess it depends on the type of coral, but T5s as supplement, do seem to help growth.

I'm in the process of adding t5s to my led lights. I mostly wanted to eliminate the shadowing from my Leds. So we will see how the hybrid approach works for my tank.

I'm planning on buying two Aqua Illumination Hydra HD 52's. Does anyone have experience with these and how they grow SPS? Can anyone post pictures of their LED/T5 hybrids? How long do you run the T5's per day?

I'm planning on buying two Aqua Illumination Hydra HD 52's. Does anyone have experience with these and how they grow SPS? Can anyone post pictures of their LED/T5 hybrids? How long do you run the T5's per day?

I just made my t5 hybrid about a week ago and I love the light combination and it got rid of some shadows I had. It's to early to see growth but I hope it will help. If you look back like one or two pages you can see mine.

I always welcome people to stop by and see for themselves. I probably had more growth with halides but that is to be expected and I do not have the led's turned up yet. I am getting a new set with wireless control this week so I stopped turning them up at 38% until after the change.

My sps in the biocube are growing pretty well. Some faster than others. I have the cheap 3w chinese led box off ebay. Im also dosing 10ml of esv 2 part daily.

lol Nathan. I am at 110ml a day and calcium reactor running. My corals are tiny. I hate to see it when things get bigger. Yes I dose and run a reactor. Because I want calcium volume and some easy for the corals to use.

lol Nathan. I am at 110ml a day and calcium reactor running. My corals are tiny. I hate to see it when things get bigger. Yes I dose and run a reactor. Because I want calcium volume and some easy for the corals to use.
LOL i dont have very many corals in the tank. Well let me re phrase, i have alot of tiny sps frags, and only a couple 4" sps corals. At 29g im also changing 8g a week. Hopefully it wont come to the point to where i have to dose 110ml in the biocube lol

I always welcome people to stop by and see for themselves. I probably had more growth with halides but that is to be expected and I do not have the led's turned up yet. I am getting a new set with wireless control this week so I stopped turning them up at 38% until after the change.

me too!
I love these lights. I have never had leds color up SPS like these do

Ironically, after posting this I realized that when I move this tank to my new house next month I will not be able to mount the lights on the wall like I have them now. I will need a light that can mount to the tank.

So it looks like I will be sticking with LED's and just upgrading.

Either the Kessil A360WE or the Radion XR15W

Back