Slow Painful Crash...

Separate systems....some frags died. I am a summing the damage was done or they were already stressed....

I am gonna try changing out the jugs of alk and calc tomorrow. Maybe I had a bad batch. Although I don't recall changing them out when the problem started. I am gonna need to do some research to see when I ordered it to see if the dates match...

Separate systems....some frags died. I am a summing the damage was done or they were already stressed....

Sorry, I got confusid, and got lost by the sharing the same water statement.....I got it now.:strange:

More losses last night. I checked when I purchased my last alk and calc. they were purchased about a month after this started so that is not it...

New frag system is almost done. then the rescue mission starts...

Time for morning testing... The hardest thing to maintain during a slow crash is alk. As colonies die, consumption falls so alk rises . It's slow so it does not seem to be adding to the problem. I just need to drop the dose as things die...

Well it's been a few days since my last loss... I have frags of every piece in the new frag system so I have backup....

Alk consumption is down because of all the losses so i am testing every two days and adjusting to keep it down...

Well it's been a few days since my last loss... I have frags of every piece in the new frag system so I have backup....

Alk consumption is down because of all the losses so i am testing every two days and adjusting to keep it down...

Man, your not kidding in the title. Slow and PAINFUL. I fell your pain.

Edit; How does your new frag system test? PO4 NO3 etc...

Last edited:
Seems you covered everything. How about sending your tank water out for testing? What about something getting in the tank? Something being sprayed in the house.

The web sights I saw were too expensive... I don't think anything was sprayed. But I am suspecting my last batch of ESV two part. I did not make a purchase when it started but I may have swapped out a container I had in stock. I swapped out the ALK yesterday so I will see if there is any change. If not I will swap out the calc...

I was also thinking what is my MB7 went bad. I use that in a cyano treatment. So I stopped that as well...

Well, for a few days it was looking good. this had me believing it was a bad bath of alk... but today it looks bad again. No new STN, but some burned tips on a few colonies. I double checked the alk. It is at 8.2. Two test kits have it in that range.

My very first frag of SPS I ever bought had started to die off a couple weeks ago. Well today I removed it from the tank. Time to bleach it in the sun and put it on a shelf. very sad...

Just in case it is the alk, or the calc and it has not yet left the system (Need more water changes) I ordered all new two part. So I am gonna keep up with the water changes.

Poly filter is still unchanged in color (except for a build up in detritus) I put the GFO back online a couple weeks ago. Algae was out of control. Only a couple table spools on slow flow.

Zoas look great. Don't know what else to try...

Attachments

• CAM00397.jpg
    CAM00397.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 0
So my stn problem seems to be turning more into a burned tips problem on the remaining colonies.

I measured the light and I have the same 350 PAR at the top of the reef that I have had for 2 years. Alk is not high and I measured it with two kits...

Does your skimmate still stink or has it lost the normal pong you smell. I'm talking a very dramatic drop in the stench factor.

Does your skimmate still stink or has it lost the normal pong you smell. I'm talking a very dramatic drop in the stench factor.

OK... Now you have something...

I have a large collection container that I clean maybe monthly of even less than that. Depending on if my skimmer is idle or skimming like crazy. It was 3/4 full. Opened it up and only a dust smell... not bad at all... Dumped it and the bottom (old skimmate stinks...) so apparently my skimmate no longer smells. Whats up with that?

It is very dark almost black.

I have a low bio load for a tank my size so it never really skimmed a tone.

Last edited:
Cant wait to hear more about this...

Me too. I've been battling with the same things, bleaching, STN, RTN and haven't found a cause. I've done everything under the sun and no change. This is something I never thought of, was that my skimmate isn't as dark and nasty smelling as it was before.

I'm on the edge of my seat for more of an explanation....

well, my alk consumption appears to be going back up. Possibly things are turning around....

so sad . I am going through the same thing.
I have even removed my titanium heater and replaced it with a glass one.
are you carbon dosing ?

Back