Smaller is Better! (5.5 gallon desktop nano. Lots of pics.)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7934287#post7934287 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by STsONpERs
Way nice.

dont suppose you want to send me the layout before you made the stand/ canopy do ya, if ya did that it.

i have a lil 5gal i was looking to setup.
I don't have a layout or anything, I just measured out the dimensions I wanted and cut the wood to size. I can figure up all those dimensions which should work for any standard 5.5 gallon though if you'd like.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7934287#post7934403 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by easye123
where did u get that ric
Like I said, everything in the tank so far I got from Dr. Mac.

The ric is pretty annoyed with me right now though. It was happy and attached to a rock for a while, but a few weeks ago it detached itself and ended up face down on the substrate. I tried placing it several different places, but every time I'd come home it was sitting on its face. It has finally reattached, but has still been shrivelled and annoyed for the last week or two. I hope it recovers soon.

Ok it didn't take long, but I'm really itchin' for metal halide now. I know I want 70W, but I don't know how I want to pull it off. I'd really like to keep my canopy, but that'll be difficult to do. I could try to mount a fixture on the top of the lid with a rectangle cut out of the lid, but I don't know if I can make that look nice.

Other than that, can you recommend any clip on fixtures, or better yet a good desk lamp to retro a MH into? I've found some good desk lamps, but they range from $100 to $200! That's more than I want to spend on just a housing for a retrofit.

Basically I'm looking for ideas and suggestions. Tell me what you would do if you had my tank and wanted to upgrade to MH!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7937440#post7937440 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Cyclone123
Damn that is a very nice tank. And im from MD also
Cool, what side of the bay?

Heat...

Heat...

how did the lights effect your heat? You ever try the experiment without the fans on?

I wouldnt go MH...JMO

Yeah, I just need to figure out a good way to fix it over my tank. Do you think if I cut a rectangular hole in the top of the lid the size of the reflector it would be good?

completetank.jpg

I could paint the outside of the reflector black or something and it would just be like a bump on the top of the canopy. I don't really like that idea, but I don't really know what else to do. If I did that it'd still only be about 4" from the surface which is a little too close... How high above a 5.5 gallon do you think a 70W MH should go?

Nice tank bro wanted to do one just like it for my office but i wanted to know how you are filtering and if thier is any way for a full lay out so i can DIY it. Once again nice tank bro.

Beautiful tank indeed. I'm sorry but I have no advice on the MH, but I'm anxious to see how you do it! :p Good luck!

Thanks for all the nice comments!

Ciro - filtering right now is just whatever I put in the fuge (sand, LR, chaeto, and Purigen ATM) and is powered by the current from the flow of the powerhead. Looking down on the top of the tank you can watch the water go in a clockwise motion from the power head on the right, to the overflow on the left and around. However, I have a spare Azoo Palm (tiny) HOB filter that I'll probably throw on there for Purigen/Carbon just to increase the flow through the media. As for the layout a lot of people have asked me, so I'm going to put together some diagrams or something when I find time and will post it here. Personally I just bought a 5.5 gallon tank and winged it from there (I had everything planned out in my head how I wanted it) just taking the measurements and fabricating as I went.

jmac - it probably won't be long until you do get to see it because the itch is getting stronger each day as I spend more money on corals and want to keep them at their full potential!

Anyone have any input on minimum height I should put a 70W MH above a 5.5gal?

I like that canopy. Looking to make something for my 29 soon. thanks for the ideas.

Now I want to evict my betta from the 2.5 and make that a nano. Thanks.

ED

i dont think there is much of an issue with height of the MH above the canopy. as long as you aren't using a 10k bulb you arent going to burn or bleach anything.

i think the issue at hand to be more concerned with is heat. but you do have 2 fans installed, and an auto top off system. so i'd say get the 70w MH and try to see if it meets your needs. if not, upgrade the tank to a 7g minibow or 10g tank and that light would be perfect.

but IMO i think a 70w MH is overkill on a 5.5g nano.

Kev man, I think i finished my tank and am starting my canopy. Did you ever determine if heat was an issue with your lighting when your fans are off?

thanks

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7994735#post7994735 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jasutton
Kev man, I think i finished my tank and am starting my canopy. Did you ever determine if heat was an issue with your lighting when your fans are off?

thanks

Well your post made me do another test today. I'd say heat is a little bit of an issue without the fans and I'd recommend you install at least one to be safe. I'm thinking in the winter I probably won't need them, but in the summer they're necessary.

Thanks for pointing me to Fish, I've definately seen his awesome setup and had PMed him about what desk lamp he used.

Back