Smaller large angels

Zionas

Hi all, what are some of the larger species of angels that tend to remain smaller and don’t get large, and grow slowly in captivity?

If you have any long term experience please let me know how big yours is and how quickly they grow.

Of course I want to avoid the ones that get huge like the Queen, Emperor, French and so on.

By small I mean not likely to exceed 7-8” in captivity and not fast growers.

I had a navarchus angel in a 90 gallon and the a 125 for about 3 years. It was a 2" juvenile when I got it and only about 3.5 inches when I had to break down my tanks (to care for my mother in law) and return it to the lfs.

Interesting, not a lot of growth.
Perhaps that was due to being in a smallish tank for an angel. It had very good health however. My natural live rock has always had a lot of sponges which I know is good for angelfish and I figured that was what kept Big Al in good shape.

Yeah I have also heard from people who’ve kept Majestic Angels in decent sized tanks for a decade or more and I think 7 or 8 inches was the largest I heard of.

Not sure about the others but hopefully there’s more that don’t really exceed those sizes in our tanks. (Excluding Genicanthus)

So I was thinking:
1. Majestic (P. Navarchus)
2. Blue Line (C. Septentrionalis)
3. Goldflake (A. Xanthopunctatus)
4. Regal (P. Diacanthus)

Maybe:
1. Conspic (Poma Labs)
2. Chrysurus (P. Chrysurus)
3. Asfur (P. Asfur)
4. Rock Beauty (H. Tricolor)

Not sure if all these remain smaller. I’m avoiding ones like the Scribbled and most other Holacanthus / Pomacanthus as I know they get large. Not putting all of them obviously.

Back