smallest tank for any octo

There are some pygmy octopuses that have been successfully kept in aquaria as small as the 6 gallon eclipse systems. But keep in mind that you still have to figure aut how to hook up good filtration to these small tanks.

The most common pygmy species is O.mercatoris.
Tampa bay saltwater can catch you one. They are hardy and can be kept in small aquariums. They are nocturnal and can be prone to escape. They would do nicely in a 5 or ten gallon with a red light for night time viewing.

I collect marine specimens for research and education in the North Florida Gulf Coast. For a small easy to keep Octo we supply Dwarf octopus,( Octopus joubini ), they are active at night and inhabit empty mollusk shells. We feed them small crabs such as Dwarf Hermit Crabs ( Pagurus longicarpus ). I have 6 in a ten gallon setup, but at our lab with flow through from a 50,000 gal. system. Filtration and water quality here are very stable. However I have keep them at home in a twenty gallon setup. I have never lost any from climbing out of the tank but researchers have reported theirs jumping ship usualy from water quality problems. They live for approx 6 months and are well worth a try. We cannot supply to the pet trade but someone in the forum may Know a collector on the northern Gulf who could supply these.

I collect marine specimens for research and education in the North Florida Gulf Coast. For a small easy to keep Octo we supply Dwarf octopus,( Octopus joubini ), they are active at night and inhabit empty mollusk shells. We feed them small crabs such as Dwarf Hermit Crabs ( Pagurus longicarpus ). I have 6 in a ten gallon setup, but at our lab with flow through from a 50,000 gal. system. Filtration and water quality here are very stable. However I have keep them at home in a twenty gallon setup. I have never lost any from climbing out of the tank but researchers have reported theirs jumping ship usualy from water quality problems. They live for approx 6 months and are well worth a try. We cannot supply to the pet trade but someone in the forum may Know a collector on the northern Gulf who could supply these.

Back