Snorkeling/shallow areas

ErosJN

Hey guys, I'm a Tampa local and will be heading to Ft. Lauderdale tomorrow. I'm looking for some shallow areas I might be able to snorkel (in about 5-6 ft of water) and maybe do a little legal collecting of inverts or small fish. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Out here we have beach areas and areas off the beach where you can collect hermits and various snails in several inches to 2 feet of water.. are there any areas like that over there?

Check out Blue heron bridge and Phil Foster park in West Palm , PEANUT ISLAND, RIVIERA BEACH Just north of the Lake Worth/Palm Beach Inlet, south of the Blue Heron Bridge. Red Reef park in Boca,
Just north of Fort Lauderdale, Lauderdale-by-the-Sea offers what some consider one of the best shore dives in Florida. It's about a block south of Anglin's Pier at the east end of East Commercial Boulevard. Water depths run 12 to 18 feet.
Underwater visibility of 25 feet is not unusual around high tide. There is metered parking north and south of the pier (bring quarters). Snorkeling around the pier is not allowed. This dive spot is an artificially constructed "shipwreck" about 200 feet off the beach offering replica cannons, ballast piles, and a large anchor. Definitely need a dive flag here. The reef is about 150-200 yards offshore. Deerfield Beach, lots of rocky areas, Dania Beach is another location for shallow snorkeling. Right off the shore in Dania Beach is a man-made reef. The reef was made from concrete jacks that have been covered by colorful coral. Abundant sea life can be found living in the reef, and with depths of 10 to 20 feet,
Dont know if you can collect anything in the waters off the park North of the pier. Have your saltwater fishing license and follow the collection laws and you should enjoy any of the locations.

shore diving

shore diving

Just south of Commercial Blvd. off the Windjammer Hotel is a shallow area with reef and fish, between 5 and 15 feet deep. Also a good beach area. There is a Windjammer video site showing how rough the seas are.

In Sunny Isles Beach behind the Ramada Marco Polo resort. The man made reef is inside the swim zone and about 6 feet deep. You can see it from shore, it's where the swim buoys are. It's at 19201 Collins avenue. Public parking lot right in front of Reef. Lots to see there. No dive flag needed .

Thank you guys for all this great info! Im here now and will be checking several of these suggestions!

The ocean was very choppy this morning so snorkeling was not possible.. i will be taking a trip to key largo tomorrow and am curious to know if any collecting is allowed there with a fishing license?.. id be interested in inverts (mainly hermits and snails) and if possible a few coral polyps... please let me know if collecting is allowed or a site that has information on it, and also any good shallow snorkeling areas within key largo. Thanks!

Back