Snow White hermit crabs

Rhodophyta

Are these reef safe? If so, are they suitable to mix with other hermit crabs and marine snails in an effort to control pest algae? Thanks!

i dont think anthony has been around in quite a while.
if you want an opinoin, ...
i've never heard of the crab you're talking about. BUT the vast majority of crabs are known as "opportunistic omnivores", meaning that they will take a bite out of just about anything and everything if they have a chance to do so... and they will keep taking bites if they like it until the thing is gone, then move on to something else. there are some which have a little better reputation than others... blue-legged, scarlet, and the mithrax, and a few others... but even most of those will take a nip at a coral from time to time if there isnt anything else around to eat.
personally, i leave crabs out of my reef tanks and propagation tanks. if it is a crab that you feel like you just cant do without, maybe try him/her in a separate tank... refugium, quarantine, dedicated small tank.... after you have got it going on a steady diet of whatever it is it likes, then maybe try placing a small inexpensive coral in with it, maybe try an sps and a softy. this might give you a clue as to what it will nip at and what it wont, but i offer no guarantees lol.
if it does nip at corals, or other inverts, you could always keep it in the separate tank.

Back