So I have heard the clicking!!!

BiG_KiD

Alright I don't know what it is that makes the clicking and it's not everyday that I hear it. I have some hermits so I think that it may be them.. I have had a few inverts and some fish come up missing though.. Over the coarse of about 8 months I have had:
1 arrow crab
2 Blue Damsels
1 Cleaner Shrimp
all MIA no remnents found

I have 2 emerald crabs that seem to be doing fine.. Been in my tank for about 4 months. I have another cleaner that's been in for about 3 months. How do i know what is making the clicking and what is the best way to find out if it is a mantis?

Usually at night when I am in another room. I never get a chance to see what is making the clicking noise. I have rushed over to the tank after I hear the noise and I never see anything out of the norm.

your list of mia's is on the menu for a mantis. it really doesn't matter what time of day you hear the clicking. mine clicks whenever. day, night, doesn't matter. a telltale sign would be missing snails with smashed shells that you have a smasher.

I could be wrong about this (it wouldn't be the first time) but my understanding from reading this list, and my experience with my OS, is that most mantis shrimp are diurnal. If you hear most of the snapping in the middle of the night, you might be dealing with something else - like a pistol shrimp.

I have no idea if If I am missing any hermits they change shells so often it's hard to tell if the shell was just vacated or they are dead. I did have some smaller snails that have all dissapeared. I find ther shells once in a while I only had about 5.. Some of my redlegs have taken refuge in them. I thought that it was my green spiny that had killed them after i witnessed him ball himself around one and not let go for around an hour one time.. I don't find alot of smashed shells.. How smashed would they be? just cracked or completely crushed?

My OS smashes up the snail shells pretty severely - multiple pieces. I would think the emerald crabs and hermits would be on a mantis shrimp's menu long before a damsel. But who knows? Do you have any other secret killers? Like Green serpent stars?

When I had big hermits, they clacked against the glass all the time.

If it is a mantis, trap it! This forum has threads on making mantis traps. In Fuji rock you might find a nice mantis. I think Smithiis are found in Fuji rock sometimes. If you find a Smithii and don't want it, I'll take it!!!

Back