So it begins. My SPS just got RTN.

Webmanny

I'm giving up on SPS corals. I just can't manage to keep them for any significant amount of time. The ones I got from Oblio were doing great and growing like crazy for a few months and today I walked in and they are almost gone.

Last night they were fine and today they are almost gone. Sharing some pictures and venting.

Parameters look great, as you can see below and nothing has changed. I did have that issue with the ATO dumping a bunch of fresh water into the sump, but that lasted hours before I corrected the problem. Also, that was last week. Either way, bye bye SPS corals.

upload_-1

This one started STN just now.
upload_-1

upload_-1

Low salinity will do that unfortunately. Hours may have been too long. Sorry to hear. If you want to try again I'll throw you a couple freebies.

Low salinity will do that unfortunately. Hours may have been too long. Sorry to hear. If you want to try again I'll throw you a couple freebies.

True that! I wasn't watching and my salinity slowly dropped to an "RTN Event". I use my good old fashioned Tropic Marin Hydrometer now. Adjust for temp and always accurate. I bumped my Salinity and RTN ceased during that event.

mike

I imagined that would have played a role in it, but that was all on me. I really appreciate the offer. I'll wait for things to flush out and come back to normal. I really hate for things to die in my tank. I have and would prefer to give them away before watching them die in my tank, but in this case, it happened to quick for me to react.

Like I've read many times on this forum. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby. Oh well, back to square 1.

It can take weeks. Mostly about 10 days to c the effects of a minor event

I think you are correct. It was about 5 days between the salinity issues and RTN. At least I learned something. I really need to build more fail safe points in my system and post more attention to details.

I think you are correct. It was about 5 days between the salinity issues and RTN. At least I learned something. I really need to build more fail safe points in my system and post more attention to details.

Same here... My ATO has flooded my sump 3 times now. You would think I would learn and create some fail safes by now.

Same here... My ATO has flooded my sump 3 times now. You would think I would learn and create some fail safes by now.

I feel your pain man. What makes me mad is that the corals survived several power problems, a bad batch of salt, a broken return pump and a 3 days tenting of the house for termites, but it only took one day of me being stupid to kill them. LOL

I hope I learned my lesson. I will wait a few months before I give this another try. I will also look at implementing some fail safe systems for this specific situation.

Back