So many important questions. I need experienced answers!

capcomic213

Hello mantis shrimp enthusiasts, I have owned a mantis shrimp for about 6 months now and love him. However I have some questions: should I add iodine to the take to assist in his molt? What variety should I feed and how often? I have a built in filter in my 20 gallon, but am thinking of purchasing a protein skimmer to help with water conditions. Lastly, I’ve recently noticed some small spots on the lower of his back, possibly shell rot, is this due to the lighting or does anyone know of any cure? Thanks!

Hello mantis shrimp enthusiasts, I have owned a mantis shrimp for about 6 months now and love him. However I have some questions: should I add iodine to the take to assist in his molt? What variety should I feed and how often? I have a built in filter in my 20 gallon, but am thinking of purchasing a protein skimmer to help with water conditions. Lastly, I’ve recently noticed some small spots on the lower of his back, possibly shell rot, is this due to the lighting or does anyone know of any cure? Thanks!
No iodine required to aid molt. Recommend a variety of foods, live and frozen. Crabs, small shrimp, brine shrimp, snails, hermits, etc. Frozen krill and freeze dried Krill soaked in Selcon are both good. Recommend growing macroalgae for nutrient control. Not caulerpa. Get one of the red varieties - dragon's breath, gracillaria, etc. Spots on the carapace may indicate shell rot but I'd need to see a picture. Best of luck to you!

Back