So why is my clam here?

Jblank44

My clam moved itself her? Why would it do that? They like a lot of light! Is he looking good? Healthy? Just need to make sure!

9yse3a3e.jpg

ysunu9uj.jpg

ypy8u2u5.jpg

yve8ava9.jpg

IME, clam usually doesn't attach if it's not happy in the spot one placed it on. It looks healthy though.

IME, clam usually doesn't attach if it's not happy in the spot one placed it on. It looks healthy though.

maybe its shy ? :p

perhaps too much light, what lighting are you using ?

I have 70w mh 4 inch from top so probably 16-19 from the clam. But it attached itself on the bottom glass a month ago and stayed there and just kept spinning and turning around in the same spot then moved to under the rock

In my opinion, if your clam stays in that particular spot, it will die of light starvation in medium or long term. Clams move for one reason or the other, but there is no scientific evidence to suggest that they seek a better place while on the move. It is possible that your clam just ended up in there and doesn't/cannot move to a better spot.

So why is my clam here?

In my opinion, if your clam stays in that particular spot, it will die of light starvation in medium or long term. Clams move for one reason or the other, but there is no scientific evidence to suggest that they seek a better place while on the move. It is possible that your clam just ended up in there and doesn't/cannot move to a better spot.

imo, it will move to a better lit spot, unless there's too much bottom flow

Well it's mostly in light, just the top isn't receiving light. I'll more my power head around to see if I can make it better so there isn't as much flow down there... Although I don't think there is much

So my clam wasn't looking good for a day, I'm gonna guess the lack of
Light caught up to it and I moved it. How does it look? Is it okay? I'm assuming it's just mad I moved it.

5y3edatu.jpg

You kind of have to work out a deal with clams sometimes. They WILL find a way to move on you if they're not happy and you should let them to some extent. Don't fight it too much and try to move the flow patterns around to make it happy where you want it. If it keeps moving you may have to suck it up a little and let the clam win. I know I did.

Mine decided to walk around for a few days after about a week of having him. I have leds 8" above the water, and first placed it about 12" down on the rock work. Not sure if it was the light or flow. But as he was moving one day i figured it was a chance to relocate him since it was unattached. I kept it in the same area just about 6" lower on a different rock. Light is obviously only slightly lower, and same with flow. Hes been reattached and happy for months and months.

Never thought my AI Hydras were to much for him, maybe it was to much flow. Either way im happy hes happy!

Mine decided to walk around for a few days after about a week of having him. I have leds 8" above the water, and first placed it about 12" down on the rock work. Not sure if it was the light or flow. But as he was moving one day i figured it was a chance to relocate him since it was unattached. I kept it in the same area just about 6" lower on a different rock. Light is obviously only slightly lower, and same with flow. Hes been reattached and happy for months and months.

Never thought my AI Hydras were to much for him, maybe it was to much flow. Either way im happy hes happy!

Im upgrading to a 35 gallon cube 20 deep... how do you like your hydra on your tank? What do you have it on?

I have a 1" clam that attached to a snail shell.

Regardless to say, the snail didn't seem to care. I noticed it when I looked on the back glass and saw my clam cruising across the glass towards the top. The clam was fully open and soaking in the light 2" from the water level.

It has walked all over the sand so far and won't stay on a rock. It's staying in the same area now at least. Just hoping it doesn't decide to go for another cruise on the snail express.

Im upgrading to a 35 gallon cube 20 deep... how do you like your hydra on your tank? What do you have it on?

I like them. Im not gonna say their all that just because. But ive had no issues, and good growth. Although these are the best, or most expensive lighting ive ever had, so because of that they are great to me! haha ;)

I have 2 over a 36"x24"x25"(24"wl). 8" above water.

Back