Solar panels to power my tank?

derrick80f

How would I power my whole aquarium system with solar panels, without directly wiring it, because I am renting and can't drill or anything. Also, the draw is about 350 kw hours a month, 11.6 kw hours a day - the system pulls about 466 watts?

Hmm perhaps a solar powered generator? I don’t know how well this will work though?

You will need a battery to store the energy. Might be able to offset some of your grid usage but running 100% off solar will not likely be feasible with a small array and small battery

Doing it all DIY you'll still need to spend several thousand. (And +1 on the Paul Prowse link!) You may be able to find overstock, returns or used on craigslist, local Habitat Resale store, FB marketplace or online auctions in your area. What I've found locally if I'm patient and keep checking is about 20 - 30 cents per watt for new solar panels. Figure you'll need at least 900 - 1000 watts. If you have a truck or van you could set it up as a mobile solar generator and just run a cord to your system. Roughly, cost breakdown for a system that will provide 500 - 600 watts 24/7 will be:

$300 for 1000+ watt solar panel array (Retail will be in hte neighborhood of $1000)
$1200 - $1500 for 400ah LiFePO4 batteries
$300 - $400 for MPPT charge controller (Victron)
$100 - $200 ~1000 watt true sine wave inverter.
$200 - $300 for mounting hardware, wire, fuses or circuit breakers.
-----------------------------
$2100 - $3400

Wow. Maybe just spend that $40-50 a month on power. It would take years to recoup that solar cost and we will be moving somewhere that I can just wire solar directly in about a year.

Back