Some odd things showing up during fallow, need ID

allendehl

Hello folks,

So I have my DT on fallow after an ich outbreak, all fish (after two loses) are in a HT with cupramine doing very well.

In the meantime, I am treating my DT for GHA with fluconazone, since I also had an outbreak. About 4 days into the treatment the GHA started to die and about a week it was all gone. I am extending the treatment a bit longer just in case.

Today, while re-gluing a coral I noticed a few things off, not sure if they are related to the tank being fish-less, the fluconazole or something else going on (hope not). I'll number them to avoid opening multiple threads and to help me track the responses :)

1- I've noticed some dark red growth in many of the rocks and coral base. It looks cool but nothing good grows fast in this hobby so I am afraid it wont be as cool soon. Pics are below.

2- I have a rock with some bubble algae that seems to be resisting the fluconazone. The same rock has also some of the mentioned red growth and also some bright green(top right). I am getting ready to pull it out before the algae moves to other rocks. Any different opinion on how to deal with it?

3- The water has turned yellowish(just noticed it when I went whites only to take the pics for this thread) . I haven't change the water in 15 days but checked params about a week ago and they were all fine.

4- There are lots of little tiny running creatures hiking on the rocks. I couldn't get a good pic of them. They don't seem to swim they just crawl really fast. Any idea what could they be?

Pic 1 - Red stuff in blue light
7AVv1xS.jpg

Pic 2 - Red stuff around a sponge under whites only
edctlWg.jpg

Pic 3- Bubble algae with red and green stuff under whites
wOMJhyu.jpg

Pic 4- Yellowish water
axR2X8G.jpg

Pic 5 - Best pic I could take of one of the running bugs.
kltnmHT.jpg

1/2) red stuff looks like cyano
3) green could be algae, you can also see some on the pump in the 4th picture. It could also be green coraline algae. Is it hard and does it scrape off easily?
4) carbon will polish the water and make it clearer. If it’s just green from reflected algae though dropping nutrients will help.
5) the running bug is an Amphipod. Beneficial and desireable. They hide most of the day usually but since you are fallow there are no predators. Most all fish will eat them.

The Fluconazole will turn the water yellow - that's what it did in my tank. Agree - the red looks like cyano.

Red stuff depending on where you are looking is either cyano or coralline... If its cyano its probably because the fluconazole is killing the GHA which is swinging your nutrients both because its dead and decomposing and because its no longer eating up nitrates/phosphates.

The bright green thing is a sponge, I think. I have a couple of sponges in my tank that are neon green/neon yellow that look like that.

I also noticed, in your FTS, there seem to a number of anemones that do not seem to be very happy. It looks like most/all are gaping and expelling their innards. I would be VERY concerned! A single dead anemone can wreck havoc on a tank and I count at least 6 that seem to be struggling. I would start by focusing on stability and getting params as close to NSW as possible.

Keep an eye on those nems, if any start to melt take them out IMMEDIATELY or you risk losing EVERYTHING.

Back