Some opinions from those that use Cupramine

Personally I wouldn't consider safe till I've the fish in my system for 6 months otherwise I put them in the swimming dead category. We have no control of how the fish was caught, how long it was in the holding chain, how they were shipped and etc. I buy 95% of my fishes online so I don't have the chance to see what they look like (unless it's wysiwyg), the actual size and if/what they are eating. Now I quarantine every fish that I buy regardless where I buy from and 2 doses of Prazi. After 4-6 weeks in QT, if they eat well and doesn't appear to have any issues then I will acclimate it into the DT with a homemade container. After 2 days I don't see any aggression from the other fishes then I'll release the new fish. I just done this with a Venustus and it's 95% of all its fins intact which I consider pretty good with all the other angels I've in the tank.

I used to just drop a new fish into the DT and figure they will eat in due time and learned the hard way with diseases and stress from other fishes they just don't stand a chance to survive. I got away without QT for couple of years with good results but it eventually caught up with me.

One last thing I would like to stress is that take your time on dosing and monitor the fish's reaction before raising to proper level and there's really no rush in bringing up the level.

HTH

:( Sorry for your loss, but just some observations.

I have used cupramine before on angels without adverse reaction, so it sounds like your individual was very sensitive. If it happens again don't move the fish to the tupperware container. Ammonia can rise really quickly in that environment and kill an already weak fish. An airstone will also drive out CO2 and push up the pH, thereby increasing ammonia toxicity in such a small volume. That said I agree with flameangel's comments too.

Finally, I wouldn't rely on biologcal filtration in your HT as nitrifying bacteria are inhibited by the medication. So you need to keep an eye on ammonia as a sudden surge can kill fish in a medicated HT.

good luck!

Back