Some pics from my tank

They're 18-24" in diameter...and I really don't have much to do with their size. I target feed them krill maybe once a week, but really don't even do that. Maybe if I did it more, they'd split. I'll probably sell them when I tear down the tank about 6-12 months from now when I move. For some reason, I keep adding more stuff to the system :)

Like this...

IMG_2001.jpg

I'm making this my new frag tank sometime in the future. The goal is to hide all the PVC with something, either pond foam or custom made concrete rocks. I'd love to have my frag tank be something that was display worthy as well.

I'm worried about the UV radiation breaking down the foam, and am worried about the epoxy it will/would take to seal it enough to protect it from the radiation. The custom rocks would just take so much work to do. Of course, I definitely have the time :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14835128#post14835128 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cloakerpoked
They're 18-24" in diameter...and I really don't have much to do with their size. I target feed them krill maybe once a week, but really don't make a great point to even do that. Maybe if I did it more, they'd split. I'll probably sell them when I tear down the tank about 6-12 months from now when I move. For some reason, I keep adding more stuff to the system :confused: :confused:

Like this...

IMG_2001.jpg

I'm making this my new frag tank sometime in the future. The goal is to hide all the PVC with something, either pond foam or custom made concrete rocks. I'd love to have my frag tank be something that was display worthy as well.

I'm worried about the UV radiation breaking down the foam, and am worried about the epoxy it will/would take to seal it enough to protect it from the radiation. The custom rocks would just take so much work to do. Of course, I definitely have the time :)

Nate

I did a foam rock wall in my old FW tank. Covered with 4 coats of West Systems Epoxy covered with sand after each coat. Now granted I didn't have the same level of light as a SW tank, but it was a planted tank so I was using decent light and the wall is in the same shape now as it was when I made it. No degradation at all after 5+ years. Actually have it sitting in my basement from last summer when I took down the FW and converted it over to SW

The thing I'm worried about with that process is the expense, as from my research, epoxying a wall the size that I'm going to be doing is going to take a whole bunch of epoxy, but its nice to know that the option is out there and would seem to work. Do you remember the brand you used for the foam?

Edit: Just looked it up, and the price didn't seem prohibitive for this particular epoxy, so its definitely an option now. I'm glad to hear from somebody local who has done it with success also.

Yea, the cost of the epoxy wasn't prohibitive. I just needed one can - and my wall covered 1/2 of the back of my 72g tank.

For the foam - since it was going on the back wall, I didn't use the spray foam - rather I used a sheet of DOW insulating foam (the pink kind sold at Home Depot) . I cut it, doubled it up in sections and carved / shaped it the way i wanted before covering with epoxy / sand

Found THIS LINK WITH PICS from my old ISP I posted long ago

i hope your not moveing to far.. you still staying in pa. and good luck with the frag tank. are you gonna have it tied in with the main system or stand alone. i like the idea of it being display quiltity in its self to show off your frags in the growing stage.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14838849#post14838849 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by superstein61
Yea, the cost of the epoxy wasn't prohibitive. I just needed one can - and my wall covered 1/2 of the back of my 72g tank.

For the foam - since it was going on the back wall, I didn't use the spray foam - rather I used a sheet of DOW insulating foam (the pink kind sold at Home Depot) . I cut it, doubled it up in sections and carved / shaped it the way i wanted before covering with epoxy / sand

Found THIS LINK WITH PICS from my old ISP I posted long ago

Looks good, but for what I need it for, I think rather than take my chances I'm going to use the Beckett foam that sells for like $13 a can at Lowes. It's been used in marine applications without any epoxy for 2 years plus, so I think especially coated with epoxy and then sprinkled with sand for a natural effect, its a much safer way to go. It's probably only going to take one can since I'm thinking the actual frag racks will be built out of argocrete and then I'll tie what I can't make out of concrete easily together with foam. This will also make it easier to keep buoyancy from being an issue.

"i hope your not moveing to far.. you still staying in pa. and good luck with the frag tank. are you gonna have it tied in with the main system or stand alone. i like the idea of it being display quiltity in its self to show off your frags in the growing stage."

No, I'm looking to stay in the Pittsburgh area...just getting our own place. Once it gets set up, the tank will be tied into my current system, which is already 3 separate tanks and a rubbermade tub. I like having my frag tank tied in for several reasons. The first is that the manifold was built to do this. The second is that I need it to be linked to the chiller, since AC doesn't exist in the house I'm in currently. The third is that I'm a firm believer that when fragging, especially for the new frags, it's less stressful if the water parameters are identical. I've made some pretty small (i.e. accidental) frags, and never had one die due to STN or RTN. This may be par for the course, but I like the idea of having the paramters the same.

Back