Somosomo Strait - Tiveuni, Fiji - World Famous Rainbow Reef - 10/2016

DivingTheWorld

Here's some pictures from our 10 Year Anniversary trip from earlier this month. We spent a week diving the Somosomo Strait and Fiji's world famous Rainbow Reef between the islands of Tiveuni & Vanua Levu. The trip started out a little cold and rainy, but by day 3 was sunny and warm. We stayed at a VERY small resort with only one dive boat and discovered that we were the only guests booked for diving that week. So we had a private dive boat, driver and dive guide for the week. Can't ask for more than that!

Fiji didn't disappoint and while Palau is still our all time favorite dive destination, Fiji has now comfortably moved into #2. I have never seen coral like they have in Fiji, every color imaginable in soft and hard as far as the eye can see. For anyone into reef tanks and coral, every dive is like you are in a world class reef tank.

So enough of that, here's some pics:

LxlhKmu.jpg

Ijg27Vl.jpg

sqjdMWv.jpg

8VA2AFu.jpg

JHxLP8H.jpg

dfVKJjd.jpg

NZk3iWk.jpg

71vNUO1.jpg

FqVIIQM.jpg

BsyFEUh.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely! Hey what camera are you using for the underwater pics; was looking into getting one but don't want a big heavy kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lovely! Hey what camera are you using for the underwater pics; was looking into getting one but don't want a big heavy kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, nothing fancy or expensive. I use a GoPro 3+ Black Edition on a pole with an SRP URPRO CYD filter. One of these days I might get around to adding some lights, but for now it's super compact and works well. I mostly take video and many of those pictures are snaps out of the video. Some are photos taken by the GoPro though.

Fantastic. Amazing what a GoPro can do. Currently #1 on my list and will be be our next destination.

What kind of shark was that in #2?
Is that something to worry about when diving out there?

How deep did you dive to get to those huge table ?
Just wondering whether you can reach them from surface dive with only fins and snorkel.

Super clear underwater pictures. The visibility must be great that day.

What kind of shark was that in #2?
Is that something to worry about when diving out there?

How deep did you dive to get to those huge table ?
Just wondering whether you can reach them from surface dive with only fins and snorkel.

Super clear underwater pictures. The visibility must be great that day.

Not sure, I didn't post any shark pictures. There is a picture of my wife watching Dolphins jumping at the surface, maybe that pic? Most of the best corals including the big tables are around 40-60' deep. I can't free dive that deep, but some people can. Visibility was actually not great when we were there. A big squall came in the first two days we were there and I think it stirred the place up a lot.

Is that a nudibranch in your last pic of your first post? Can't quite tell what that is...

Yeah, that's a Spanish Dancer nudibranch. It's one of the few, if not the only nudibranch which can actually swim. I've never seen them diving before Fiji, but in Fiji we saw them on several dive sites.

Back