sponge(?) ID

Dolphingrrl23

In my 29G biocube I found a lot of little ( 1-2cm in length) white things that looked like eggs cases. I got rid of all of them because I didn't know what they were. I put them under a microscope to see if I could relate it to anything and I found spicules and nothing else. I recently found 2 new ones in my tank and one looks like a very small demosponge. Anyone know what kind of sponge this is if it is one? Thanks.

If its a new tank it may be part of the cycle, i know i had some when mine was going through that process. One of those turned out to be a mushroom. But to have a better understanding of what you have you may want to take some pictures and post them.

I've had my tank up and running since December with live sand and rocks and in January I added fish, etc. They appeared right after I had an isopod bloom (No idea where those came from). I'll try to take a picture and post it but they're really small.

Could be what they call "pineapple sponge" or scypha sponge. If they are, they are completely harmless filter feeders. I have a couple come and go from time to time.

Back