Sponge?

bmw_zoan

101_3394.JPG

101_3395.JPG

Hey guys this has been growing in the back of my tank where there is very little light and very little flow of the water... It looks like a sponge to me but I'm not sure what it is. Does anyone have any idea what so ever what it can be? It started growing by itself there all of the sudden it got big.

well I dont mind it because it is in the back, but how is it good? Does it have benefits? or can it cause some problems in the future?

The benefit is they are like a mini protein skimmer that removes nutrients in the tank. IMO which is the best! :) They are great for the tank and i encourage them to grow. This will not cause any problems in the future. :)

Steffen Sparks

I think they are pretty cool however, like John said, some think they are bad as sponges require "œdirty" water (nutrient rich) to survive. I've got some too and these have been around for while from the rock in my old tank.

NT0136.jpg

Jay

The benefit is they are like a mini protein skimmer that removes nutrients in the tank. IMO which is the best! :) They are great for the tank and i encourage them to grow. This will not cause any problems in the future. :)

Steffen Sparks
+1!
I agree w/Steff. The more natural filtration ie, sponges, rock, algae, deep sand beds, the better of your system will be.

Back