SPS not growing/growing s....l....o....w

As far as lighting goes I would watch BRS videos on lighting. Quick YouTube search and an hour later and you will know exactly why t5 is needed with LEDs. Others back up what they say. Give it a go well worth your time to do your own homework.

One of my LFS has kessils only. It has fantastic growth. Every base of every sps colony is dead. No light gets to the bottom! That's a 3 year led only tank.

Seriously considering adding some T5's to my setup. Just want to get my water chemistry settled down first.

Dub, I am a firm believer that led's will grow any coral. The problem is finding the sweet spot. Start lower intensity and slowly bring it up. I have a 9 hour timer on my 3 ai prime where the intensity peaks at 80% at 2:00 and the average intensity is around 50-60 percent. My UV never goes above 25%. I was constantly told the primes are not powerful enough and i say hogwash. My sps are just as vivid at the bottom as well as the top of a 50 gallon fusion lagoon with just 3 ai prime at half intensity. As others have stated, lights are just one of many factors in making sps thrive. I just recovered from a tank crash after upgrading and stated in another thread that once I fixed the lighting and flow to match the bigger tank, my sps started recovering and coloring up faster than i have previously seen.

Ok. My attempt at posting some pictures.

Full Tank Shot as of 1/27/2016

FTS as of 2/16/2016

New Frags 2/16/2016

Ill have to take some more recent pics to post (and learn how to take better shots :lolspin:).

Im surprised nobody has mentioned your magnesium level being low.

Your tank and corals look great. I would suspect it is just a slight ionic imbalance. How are you managing magnesium?

Your tank and corals look great. I would suspect it is just a slight ionic imbalance. How are you managing magnesium?

Thanks! For the most part the corals seem happy, they just fail to grow as rapidly as I know they can (mushrooms excluded). Right now the notion of fragging seems like such a foreign concept as it would imply that the corals actually grow at an appreciable rate! :lmao:

To be honest I don't manage magnesium other than weekly 10% water changes. I haven't tested for Mg in a while as every time I did it was fairly constant. I do have a gallon of solution made up though (from the BRS dry mix).

Ill do a test tonight and see what it comes out as. What level do you recommend for Mg?

Adjust mag to 1350ppm. You will be surprised how much it takes to raise it. I'm assuming your alk and cal consumption will increase afterwards

He's not far off though, natural sea water is around 1280 ppm.

True but the number doesn't tell the whole story

I would agree that having Calc at 480 and Alk at 10 should dictate higher Mag to assist with balance, but I didn't notice anything about elements coming out of solution. Regardless, if I were to run C/A that high, I would have the Mag higher. Rather than that though, it may be better overall to slowly adjust things down closer to NSW.

Fair enough. That is also a worthy approach. My emphasis is more on the imbalance of ions. I used mag to embellish the suspicion since it appeared he was not accounting for it. I believe this is the simplest and cheapest approach to rule out before going out and buying new lights and the latest snake oils haha.

I would agree that having Calc at 480 and Alk at 10 should dictate higher Mag to assist with balance, but I didn't notice anything about elements coming out of solution. Regardless, if I were to run C/A that high, I would have the Mag higher. Rather than that though, it may be better overall to slowly adjust things down closer to NSW.

Funny enough, as I brought my S.G down I was expecting to see a drop in my Kh ad Ca. They have stayed constant at Kh = 9.6dkh and Ca = 440ppm.

I am using IO Reef Crystals and when I tested my new batch it came out to

S.G = 1.025 @ 77.5F
Kh = 10.5dKh
Ca = 450ppm
Mg = Didn't test. Doh!

I thought you should match your levels of Kh and Ca to the levels in the salt you use.

Several posts have suggested bringing my Kh down closer to 8-9dkh for the acro's. Do I just let the Kh fall while continuing to dose Ca or let both fall equally? What about water changes if the WC water chemistry is different from the system water chemistry?

I used mag to embellish the suspicion since it appeared he was not accounting for it. I believe this is the simplest and cheapest approach to rule out before going out and buying new lights and the latest snake oils haha.

I wasn't accounting for it.:facepalm:
I've suspected that the culprit is something with my water chemistry as have seen growth spurts with this system.

Once I saw the pictures I felt the same. Everything looks great. Calcification is just having a hard time because the big three aren't playing together. Don't worry *too much* about the numbers. Add some mag and wait a week. It seems you have time in your side judging by the health of the tank.

Adjust mag to 1350ppm. You will be surprised how much it takes to raise it. I'm assuming your alk and cal consumption will increase afterwards

Tested Mg and it came in at 1400ppm so Im gonna rule that out. Mind you the test kit expired 03/2016 so Ill have to get a new one to be sure.

If you warm up your tank a bit, you'll also get faster growth. Just something else to consider.

What temp would you recommend?

Alright, so I stopped dosing both Ca and Alk for just over 24hrs and found the following.

1) Alk dropped by 0.6dKh
2) Ca only appeared to drop by 5ppm (does that seem right?)

Current readings are:

T=77.5F
S.G. = 1.026
Ca = 475ppm
Alk=8.3dKh

My old test kit for Ca ran out so I got this reading is from a new Salifert test kit. Bringing a water sample to my LFS this weekend (and pick up new kits for Mg and Alk) to verify the accuracy.

Going to go back to my old dosing regime and see if what happens in 24hrs. Hopefully all will remain stable.

Once the chemistry is nailed down, I think raising the temp is my next move....

Back