SPS/T5 coloration/spectrum

Snookster

I'm overdue for a bulb replacement and I'm running 2 aquablue specials, 1 blue plus and 1 coral plus along with 16/8 blue/white crees @ 40/30%.

I'm seeing some the of greens in my SPS go kinda pale (except for the slimer). Blues and purples are awesome. I'm thinking I may need to go more white than blue since I'm pretty heavy blue now. Or are my bulbs just too old and lost their "umph"?

Anyone have any idea what spectrums affect what pigments? What affects coloration more? Light? Chemistry? I've seem Brian Green's garage where he's got T5s on one half and halide on the other, there's clearly a difference in the coloration. Is it the brightness or the spectrum?

I would get bulbs pleasing to your eye. I haven't run t5's in 10 years or so so I can't comment on life expectancy of the newer bulbs.

Everything you mentioned effects color. If your tank is right and lights are decent you will have good color in your corals.
There are studies showing what elements help each color. They are published to the internet. Should be easy to find by searching

Trace elements for green, specifically a complex of eight “light” metals that includes iron, manganese, cobalt, copper, aluminum, zinc, chrome and nickel.

The pale colors could be from a long list of things but in regards to your bulb combo the Blue plus seem to be the best all around bulbs for color, growth, and viewing. Just my opinion but with your T5/LED set up and the number of white to blue leds I would go with either 3 blue plus and 1 coral plus or 2 blue plus 1 coral plus and 1 aqua blue special. I'm a fan of the more blue spectrum in general though. I like the way it looks and I believe the corals respond better to it.

Back