stand sealing

goby

Premium Member
Yo DIY'ers!

I am going to put coat # 3 of kilz on my new stand tonite. Then I planned to seal the whole thing before putting a few coats of paint on it. I am thinking about the HD Marquee brand paint as I used it on some interior walls and noticed how thick it goes on and seems to make a really good solid latex film that would keep out water.

I saw they now make a printable silicone, but it has the fungicide in it. Is it safe to use? It is a no go for tanks, but it will be painted over.. tho i have heard that over time the paint will crack and flake.

Would i be better off with just a standard outdoor paintable caulk?

what is the best readily available (HD,Lowes) sealant I can use?

I built the stand with a plywood base and want to seal that in to make a "tub" in case of any leaks. I also put a controller cabinet on one side of the stand, and want to seal that off for moisture proofing that area so it doesn't get too humid and reek havoc on the electronics.

I figured i would also fill in all the screw heads to help (hopefully) prevent any rusting ( I did use lifetime warranty deck screws, but still cant be too safe)

my preference would be something paintable. I am considering a light grey color for under the stand, so a clear or white seam might not be as pretty...

thoughts? ideas?

go!

Sometimes too many coats can actually work against you, especially if you lay on too heavy or don't allow proper dry time.
I just do one coat of kilz, light scuff w/ 220 between that and paint coats, and I usually seal seams first w/ alex plus, paintable.

Thanks Guys!

the Alex Plus was the answer I was looking for.. I will go pick up a few tubes tonight.

Back