star polyp turning white

laytonandy

My star polyp frag which I've had for about two months has lately began to show a more white rather than green color. Also the polyps seem to be getting sparse. I have moved the coral lower in the tank in case there is too much light (400w/70 gallons). Torch coral doing fine. All fish healthy. I haven't supplemented for coral feeding could this be the problem.

You shouldn't have to feed them.

I never had good luck with green star polyps in my tanks under a lot of light. When I say a lot of light, I mean under 250w MH bulbs. They did okay for a while then suddenly like yours, they started to fade, not open and then die off.

I ended up giving them to my dad who has low light, flouresent and they look great. Not only did they color back up, they started growing again.

One thing you might want to try is move the coral under a rock ledge if possible so that it gets indirect light for a while.

Try putting them under higher flow. Ive read so many threads on GSP that it doesnt seem to matter what position in the tank they are or what amount of light they have. What does seem to be a factor is the amount of flow.
Low flow= lotsa GSP problems, High flow=Happy GSP

If anyone knows contrary, please tell me. My personal experience is this. My GSP are on the bottom of my 125 under PC's with a flow director aiming right at them from 18 inches above. Ive had great growth and beautiful color:)

star polyps

star polyps

thanks for the advice. I've already moved them to lower light area and will redirect flow for better current.

Back