Starfish Leg Grew New Body?

Anchovy

I know a starfish can regrow a leg, but it was my understanding a leg needed part of a mouth attached to regrow a body. I bought a dalmation linkia starfish in June and it lost 1/2 of 3 arms after a couple of months. I find the 1/2 arms laying around in the tank, but I always leave them in. It has not lost a complete arm....When I was moving stuff in the tank today I found an arm with a new body. At first I thought it was dead so I pulled it out and took a pic. When I placed it back in the tank I held it to the glass for a second and it held on. It has since moved all around the tank. Any ideas?

006-2.jpg

014-2.jpg

013-2.jpg

011-9.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13346911#post13346911 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ct_vol
I think its a boy starfish... ;)

That's not a boy.....that's a man!

Yeah, a member of our reef club "fragged" his starfish of two legs. I have one of them, not quite as developed as Anchovy's leg, but similar, with a tiny body growing out of the leg.

Someone was telling me that his Dad was a fisherman and they hated starfish, so they would cut them in half to kill them and then toss them back into the sea...inadvertantly helping it multiply!

V

^ I had a professor who got paid by the state of California to dive and kill as many starfish as possible. After about 6 months on the job the situation was worse and they figured out they were helping the buggers and the kelp forrests were disappearing.
After that they would collect them, bring them to the surface and throw them into 55 gallon drums on the boat and take the bodies back to shore and let them dry out.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14702825#post14702825 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by KafudaFish

After that they would collect them, bring them to the surface and throw them into 55 gallon drums on the boat and take the bodies back to shore and let them dry out.

That must have been one stinky boat... :bum:

So your prof was a starfish assassin? Wow!

They should have put the starfish in a huge tank with harlequin shrimps...

V

Thats pretty cool! I knew they could regenerate lost parts but I too was under the impression that they had to have a part of the mouth.

Love a 5 yr old thread revival. At least this was a good one. :) Too bad Kim isn't in the hobby anymore.

Back