Starfish legs

rorey233

Help- Recently purchased Detris Attack pack from LiveAquaria. After 3 days the legs of my Sand sifting sea star are falling apart. Two are just about completely gone. I have removed him from the tank but he doesnt look to well. I dont know if he got cold in shipment or what. The two sea cuccumbers died before they arrived but the other two stars seem fine so far. What would cause this to happen to my Sand sifting sea star. Any ideas? How can i save him?

How long did you acclimate for? Is the tank newly setup?
Itsounds like the star is slowly melting away, at thispoint there is nothing you can do. It will only continue to get worse until it literally falls into pieces.
I would call Live aquaria up, tell them about the star fish and the cucumbers. I would replace the star with something else.
Sand sifting stars are hard to keep just having one, but having 3 total is going to be impossible to keep alive in that size tank especially if it is a new setup.

Satefish are very sensitive to any change in temp, salinity, and need to be kept in a tank that is mature or around a year old.
They eat and only eat pods and living wormsetc in the sand bed. Even if you had a refugium filled with pods they will slowly starve by out competing eachother for food.
Sorry that you had to go thru this, but Live aquaria should post a warning or something similar, so people know how to rightfully car for them so they dont die.
I am not saying you are at fault at all, but live aquaria is.

We followed the instructions using the drip method. We have had the tank for about 6 months or more. The other two stars are the marron star and tiger stripped star. I feel bad that there is nothing i can do why do they disenegrate like that? Will the other two do that also? The sea cuccumbers spit out there guts before arrival. Sad Sad

Starfish when ill or dying will all disintigrate. Your other two stars could be fine. There is no way in telling until they start to do this.

Okay i called liveaquaria. They are working with me but want to wait till the 14 days are up since it has only been a couple. I am worried about having it all sent again. what can i do to make a better transfer. I know that having things sent in the winter here in montana is probably a bad idea so i messed up there but now it is done so what can i do better this time. Where can i get more info onseacucmbers and starfish such as water parameters, feeding, anything like that?

Back