Start over?

drillsar

I have a Red Sea Max E170 (45 Gallon); I think my issue is my rock which I used was dry only and my sand. If I restart tank with Live Rock how much do I need and sand? What is best approach here without losing my fish and corals?

I just did the same with my 10 gallon dry rock and dry sand I used biopsira when I first filled it up and added a dead shrimp from the grocery store. I found local reefers with established systems that were either selling live rock or were willing to give me some rubble. I ended up with biospheres one 5lb live rock and a couple smaller pieces. The tank has been running for only 2 weeks, and has already cycled. Honestly it was cycled in about a week to a week and a half but I wanted to be safe. Just added a couple zoa frags this weekend first coral I’ve owned for 14 years great to be back!

Hope that might help you out!

As @Misled said, it’s going to depend on what exactly is wrong. I’m personally all for adding live rock, however sometimes it’s as simple as what @duds is saying where you can still have dry and then just add a piece or two of live

Ok I wonder if any LFS around me have any good rock/rubble. I live in NJ and not much around except Absolutely Fish and Sea Level Aquarium; Tampa Bay Saltwater I used before but only need probably 20lbs and its like $200 something with shipping. Decisions lol

Well there’s Tampa Bay, KP Aquatics and Gulf Live Rock as well as a couple others. Might be good to shop around see what can get you the best deal

Try your local reef club or if someone is selling off their tank or live rock on Facebook. I try to ask if it’s clean of any pests or anything nasty but do your own due diligence before buying it. You’ll end up getting it a lot cheaper to be honest prices have sky rocketed since I was last in the hobby.

And honestly the tanks gunna go through some ugly phases no matter what you do it’s hard to avoid them it’s a new tank it takes time to mature.

If nitrates are high, a few water changes might help before dumping the tank. How long has the tank been set up and what type of filtration are you using, what are you phosphate levels? Although I'm a fan of truely live rock, it still won't cure all problems. I'd get the chemistry right, figure out what the exact problem is and look for alternative solutions without dumping the entire tank and starting over or you might find yourself in the same position in the future.

Back