Starting a tank for a school of moorish idols... Wish me luck

Given that tangs change sex I would assume that all smaller ones are females.
I have seen juveniles in stores at several occasions and they are by no means small. Some I saw were about 4". The tell is their body shape and how well developed their dorsal fin and streamer is. Juveniles look kinda unfinished...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Given that tangs change sex I would assume that all smaller ones are females.
I have seen juveniles in stores at several occasions and they are by no means small. Some I saw were about 4". The tell is their body shape and how well developed their dorsal fin and streamer is. Juveniles look kinda unfinished...

The only problem with placing the order for them specifically is I'll get whatever shows up basically.
This specific lfs I'm getting them from doesnt tend to order them very often so if I only order a pair it's not like they'll place an order for 15 or 20 and I get to pick amongst them .

I'll ask for 2 "small-medium"

Only problem now is, I've traded in all my other fish I wasnt keeping towards the Idols credit... now I'm gonna have a lot of credit and not know what to order lol

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

What made you think that 10 Zanclus could actually work in a 200 gallon tank? That's basically just 20 gallon for each of them. If I remember correctly, by Austrian animal protection law you wouldn't be allowed to keep one in less than a 5000 liter tank.
BTW, I found most of the information above in a simple search on Google Scholar... It seriously pays to do some actual research before making such ambitious plans. You basically screwed yourself and those fish.

What made you think that 10 Zanclus could actually work in a 200 gallon tank? That's basically just 20 gallon for each of them. If I remember correctly, by Austrian animal protection law you wouldn't be allowed to keep one in less than a 5000 liter tank.
BTW, I found most of the information above in a simple search on Google Scholar... It seriously pays to do some actual research before making such ambitious plans. You basically screwed yourself and those fish.

Pablo Tepoot's moorish idol tank is what inspired me to do it.

I also figured the agression would be divided amongst them and not dimise down to 1 of them in the end.

Had I suggested putting 10 yellow tangs with the above mentioned stock it would be roughly the same size for each yellow tang.
I also know first hand keeping 10 yellow tang in a 250 gallon with only 4 other fish is possible and the aggression really isnt that bad.

Also as I stated in the beginning, I've kept moorish idols successfully and unsuccessfully. Never had an agression problem with them, especially with them as the aggressor.

So above are the reasons I assumed this would be possible .

Last edited:
IMG 0024
https://youtu.be/73WGoV3oo4s

That's more of a holding tank than a reef tank. Also, a 30-second feeding clip doesn't tell you much about how they interact when not excited about food. My guess is that this works because the tank is hopelessly overcrowded (like a wholesaler holding tank) and therefore the fish can't really claim any territories. And by the sheer numbers aggression is spread out.
I would not find a tank like that attractive and consider it outright cruel to the fish.

Back