Stocking Ideas?

Fish Everywhere

Hello everyone. I am likely going to go with some variant of a 50 gallon cube (24x24x20) with around a 15-20 gallon sump for about a 70 gallon total volume. Assuming I get an oversized skimmer and want to run an SPS dominant with some LPS (provided they can survive in a low nutrient setting), what would you all think of the following stocking list? Please keep in mind that unlike some other hobbyists who have already made up their mind and try to post this to justify their own actions incorrectly, this is fully subject to change, so please respond with your honest thoughts. Thank you to all, and once again this is not final.

- 2 Percula Clownfish (first (?))
Clownfish are cool, and I'm no exception to that belief haha. In this tank specifically, I'm probably going to risk it and throw in an RBTA after a few months have passed and wait for it to settle, then build around it. Is it a gamble? Sure, but I honestly think its worth it, as anemones are incredible creatures IMO. My question regarding these guys; say I hypothetically introduced them early on, but they later began to host an anemone and shortly after this I continue my stocking list (about 6-7 months after initial setup). Would they be aggressive towards the other fish on this list even with their own nem?

- 1 Blue Spot Jawfish (Third last, before Leopard)
This one I am on the edge about. I've heard success stories, and I've also heard that they are near impossible to keep. Jumping will be irrelevant, as I will make my full attempt to cover the entire top of the tank with clear mesh of some sort. I will have around a 2.5 to 3 inch sandbed, but if this is too little, can put crushed coral attached to the mouth of a PVC pipe and make a jawfish home as I've seen many here make. I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

- 1 Leopard Wrasse (Second last, before Flame)
When I had a biocube, I always wanted this fish. It simply looked incredible! Soon, I found out about how stressed they can be in shipping and how they wouldn't fit in that size tank anyway. I feel that a 50 gallon cube with a somewhat minimalistic aquascape should provide enough swimming room, as the smaller leopard wrasses I've seen have been quite cryptic and just like pecking at rocks. As mentioned earlier, the sandbed should not be a problem for this fish, my main concern is just getting it to eat, but it seems that if it is purchased healthy, fat, and from a reputable source (not many LFS near me that carry these difficult fish so I would probably order it from Liveaquaria DD), the chances of survival look pretty good.

- 1 Flame Angelfish (last)
I actually almost got this fish for my previous 30 gallon cube, but it was bought by someone else before I went back to get it. Looking back, it was probably the right decision, as not only did I have a nice selection of zoas in that tank which I admired, but the tank would have been quite small for this fish. Flame angelfish in general don't seem to be too difficult of a fish, as long as they are purchased from a reputable source that would not support cyanide fishing (seems common in this fish from the articles I've read in the past few weeks).

What do y'all think? Overall, I think that this stocking list would come under a medium bioload and shouldn't be too heavy. My main questions would be regarding compatibility and thriving potential, which I hope you all address. Thanks in advance guys.

Looks good so far, with some caveats. The first thing being the blue dot jawfish, which hail from cooler waters (like the all too enticing Catalina goby), and really don't seem to thrive in the typical tropical temps we keep our tanks at (78-80 degrees) longterm. I'd stay away honestly, especially considering how many other awesome, not to mention more affordable, tropical jawfish there are available, like the classic pearlies or misc. ones that come in from FL. The perculas should be fine, right behind the skunk complex, they're the most docile clowns, much more sociable than ocellaris IME. Leopard wrasses can do well once they start taking prepared foods, and the flame angels are in the same category as true percula clowns and royal grammas. Crazy common, but you never get tired of them. I just got a little Vanuatuan for my 60g cube and love her so far :beer: Good luck, sounds like you've got a good foundation, keep us posted :thumbsup:

Yea, I thought the jawfish would be pushing it. I'll definitely consider something else, because I too have heard about the whole cold water thing. Perhaps another Leopard wrasse would be good if the first does well, or another wrasse like a radiant down the line. Of course, I wouldn't really need to worry about any fish other than the clowns for at least 6 months lol, as I won't add anything else until tank is established. Will keep searching and see if I find another possibility. Thanks for the input though, appreciate it.

Last edited:
From what I've looked into leopards can be aggressive with their own kind. I would stick with one but you could add a small fairy or flasher wrasse.

I did try a leopard prior to the mandarin but she didn't make it, she was very thin so I should've passed. My possum wrasse enjoyed cruising around with her so that's another option for you too.

From what I've looked into leopards can be aggressive with their own kind. I would stick with one but you could add a small fairy or flasher wrasse.

I did try a leopard prior to the mandarin but she didn't make it, she was very thin so I should've passed. My possum wrasse enjoyed cruising around with her so that's another option for you too.

Actually, though there is some merit to this, it is only true if you house multiple males along with a female. The males will fight over the female, causing the death of one or more fish. If you add multiple females, one of them will change into a male (hopefully) over time, and in this manner, leopard harems exist in nature. My primary concern with the Leopards is really about them not eating frozen, which is why I wouldn't add them at the same time but staggered. As for possums, thats a definite option I will consider, they look pretty cool. I really wanted a mandarin, but yea, mandarins and leopards definitely should never go together because the wrasse will take the mandarin's pods.

Back