Strawberry Dottyback compatibility

reefer Miami

Hi. I have recently set up a 43 gallon reef tank. Currently I have a yellow watchman Goby paired with a Pistol shrimp, a young Picasso Clownfish and a Sixline wrasse. I also have a large True Percula Clownfish that can be aggressive.
He's in my smaller tank now and was paired with the Picasso. I plan to add him last. My question is what are people"˜s thoughts on adding a Strawberry Dottyback to this group. Also, should I add the Dottyback last or the True Percula. I appreciate any advice.

Otherwise known as a Purple Pseudochromis, IMHO one of the most likely of the family to go rogue, sooner rather than later.

I got one a number of years ago because the wife just had to have the pretty purple fish (and don't think I didn't try to warn her). Maybe 3 months in fish started dying/disappearing. As I fully expected. Within 4 months it would openly attack anything that was foolish enough to show it's fins. Took another month to catch it. Turns out a #10 barbless flyfishing hook on some monofilament was the perfect choice. It spent the rest of it's days in my predator tank - who's only other inhabitant was a 4' Undulated Moray named Hannibal the cannibal because it ate everything else I ever put in with it. The purple pseudochromis lasted another year or so there.

Good Riddance.

So no, I don't think it will work. Either will the 6-line. They are likely to go the same route at some point in the future.

Take a look at the flasher and fairy wrasses. Lots of color and out and about a lot. Or maybe a blennie?

Do you have a top on the tank of some sort? Jumping is a real problem with many fish.

I'd still get rid of the six-line either way. They get mean, and once your tank is well established, getting it out can be a real problem.

Back