Student Newbie

mejamis

Good Day/Evening!

I stopped being involved in the hobby last August because I cannot handle both the hobby and schoolwork together. I kept a 5 gallon FOWLR for about 5 months but poor water quality (from Store-bought Natural Seawater) and equipments breaking down caused me to stop and throw in the towel. At present, I am an incoming college student here in the Philippines and yes I'll have to admit I can't get out from this wonderful hobby. I am planning to set-up another 5 gallon tank and this time I'll take it slowly and surely to avoid the tank from crashing. I will be using an HOB Filter rated at around 90gph and a small powerhead for circulation. I want to make this tank as cheap as possible because as what I have mentioned I am an incoming college student. I'm going to buy 3lbs of live rock to seed the dry rocks that I will be putting in the tank. Live rocks would be my main filter and I plan on doing 10% water changes two times a week. My biggest problem now is lighting. Any suggestions/comment to keep initial lighting costs would help.

Thanks!

I was running a 7g nano with a cheap Chinese hybrid led amd growing SPS. I think it's your best and cheapest option.

You should be fine with a single 10% weekly water change. Two 10% changes seems like more than needed. On the plus side, you should be able to get RO/DI water from any of the Lab Buildings on campus.

5 gallon tank will require much much more maintenance than a larger tank (55ga +) why you ask? Evaporation is much larger, swings in the water parameters, need for water changes every couple days to maintain good water quality, etc.

These reasons are why a friend of mine broke down his 5gal tank. It needed constant topping up and maintenance.

Best way to learn is to go big up front while it seems counter-intuitive to other hobbies that is the best way I've heard in this one.

I've been searching for the classroom projects by Brandon Rutherford, elementary teacher. I know the Stratton Elementary School Reef Project was featured on *********, but I can't open the podcasts link from this page:

Where can I find Brandon's teaching materials, lesson plans or the reference to the site?

I've been searching for the classroom projects by Brandon Rutherford, elementary teacher. I know the Stratton Elementary School Reef Project was featured on *********, but I can't open the podcasts link from this page:

Where can I find Brandon's teaching materials, lesson plans or the reference to the site?

[MENTION=378601]arthurnotthekin[/MENTION] I found this through google..
https://www.reef2rainforest.com/2015/03/28/tanks-in-classrooms-setting-up-an-educational-aquarium/

The "rules/management decisions" of this site do not allow us to discuss that other reef site you linked to so we can't really help you there..

Here is a link to Brandons vimeo page
https://vimeo.com/user28704363

There is a site dedicate to it here..
http://mrrutherfordisawesome.weebly.com/reef-system.html

and TONS more links with a bunch of information available..
Just google "Brandon Rutherford aquarium project"

Back