Stuff is going MIA????

SFish

So I got this tank from a friend and stuff seems to be going MIA.

3 fish
No bodies nothing

3 crabs
2 of them I found pieces of crab body but that was it

3 shrimp

I've also been finding empty shells. One was a big snail. The shell was empty.

The fish were lawn lawn mower blennys. Only a CUC is in the tank. Could there be something hiding out and eating stuff? They had live rock in the tank. Don't know if they just put it in right from the store. How do I stop this from happening???

well fish sometimes jump out or they wedge themselves in the rock work and die..
crabs/shrimp do shed their bodies from time to time and crabs can move from one shell to another..

your water quality could be killing them too (the crabs/shrimp)

What else is in the tank?
My diamond goby loves to eat shrimp/snails.. He sucks the snails right out of their shells..

Nothing. Just hermits and snails and they are small. I've never seen any bodies of anything. The extra shells I put in were bigger. To much stuff has gone MIA with out a trace. As far as the fish none of them jump that I've seen or found. I've even taken rocks out and never found anything.

More info needed.
Exact water parameters?
How long has the tank been up?
Tank size?
You lost three lawn mower blennies? They may have starved or bullied each other, lawnmowers don't like each other and need a lot of algae.
What kinds of shrimp did you lose?
Have you heard any clicking noises?
Do you know if there's a brittle star in the tank?
How many hermits and snails do you have? Clean-up crews can be surprisingly efficient, and fish skeletons are made of really tiny bits. A fish can vanish without a trace and never be seen again.
Are there any gaps in the lid?
Do you have any pets that could have eaten jumpers?
How far from the tank have you looked for jumpers?

Stuff like that is indicitive of a mantis shrimp. They are serepticious little buggers and hide extrenley well in a den, set a trap at night u might see it.

I would check outside of the tank very well! We had a goby that went missing and a couple years later we found it had jumped out,(we joked for years that he must have commited suicide, but no body was found) landed on the back side of a basket and died. It was stuck to it and almost blended in.

I'd suspect a mantis shrimp too. If only snails were missing, I'd say the hermits ate them, but with 3 missing fish, something else is going on. As stated above, more info is needed.

How long has the tank been up? Years

Tank size? 55

You lost three lawn mower blennies? They may have starved or bullied each other, lawnmowers don't like each other and need a lot of algae.

I didn't have them at the same time and I still have algae

What kinds of shrimp did you lose? Peppermint also not at the same time

Have you heard any clicking noises? No but the fan on the light is kinda loud

Do you know if there's a brittle star in the tank? Not that I know of

How many hermits and snails do you have? Clean-up crews can be surprisingly efficient, and fish skeletons are made of really tiny bits. A fish can vanish without a trace and never be seen again.

7 scarlet
9 blue leg
9 astrea
5 cerith
2 emerald (MIA)
1 peppermint (MIA) went through 3
1 blenny (MIA) went through 3

Are there any gaps in the lid? It's all open

Do you have any pets that could have eaten jumpers? No

How far from the tank have you looked for jumpers? All around the tank. I would think you would smell dead fish at one point because some of that stuff has been MIA for months

At first I thought it was normal stuff but I've never seen so much stuff go MIA a little here and there

I would check outside of the tank very well! We had a goby that went missing and a couple years later we found it had jumped out,(we joked for years that he must have commited suicide, but no body was found) landed on the back side of a basket and died. It was stuck to it and almost blended in.

No smell? I'll check all around again but 3 fish though

Mantis or possibly a crab that has a taste for fish? They can hide well and a rock dwelling fish like a lawn mower could become easy pray when sleeping.

Back