Suggestion for skimmer on reefer nano

hellssephiroth

Hey guys, been a while since I had the itch for a new tank and tech. The wife and I are having a pico tank competition between the two of us and she said to me last week, "hey we should get a nano for the bedroom." :bounce3:

So I got a good deal on ordering a Red Sea Reefer Nano. I'm still waiting on the delivery of of it but it am going over what I want to throw in this guy.

I know already I plan to do an SPS tank. My 125 is all leather and I want something completely different. I am thinking I might go bare bottom on this build. I liked the look of some of them I have seen in the past.

Now is the real question. What skimmer is the top of the line model I can fit in this bad boy? I see there are some neat DC pump driven models that are coming out from the wood work. I still run a power hungry beckett skimmer on my larger tank and there is no way I am doing anything like that again. I may even get rid of it. I feel it is not worth the power bill even though It skims amazingly. That and injectors are hard to come by now.

If anyone has a reefer nano that has some recommendations that would be amazing. Any recommendations on parts other than lighting (bought already) I'm game for listening to them too. It seems that there are not that many builds with the system yet to really check out what everyone is doing with them.

Thanks guys!

Check out the new IceCap K2-50. Super small footprint of 4.75" x 3.5" with a 6 watt DC pump too. I don't have one but have heard of good reviews from members here who run it on their Reefer 170.

What lighting did you choose on your red sea nano? I'm following this thread as I'm considering buying one soon. Please keep us posted on the skimmer choice. What about the bubble magnus curve 5? Will that fit?

For the bubble magus i dont think it would work well. From what i can tell water height of the sump is 8" and the skimmer want it higher than that.

Not exactly sure how the reefer series is setup, but one of the best in tank nano skimmers out there is the Aquaticlife 115. Don't let the cheap price fool you, it really is a great little skimmer with or without a couple small mods.

I see you live in WI I'm from philly currently resideing in appleton WI not to far from you I have a Reef octopus ns-80 literally almost brand new you can have great little skimmer or I can give you a list of them to consider ? if you want come pick it up free of charge to help a guy out ?

Tunze 9001. I have just brought one and wow. Great performance, silent, im over the moon.

You must have gotten one of the new upgraded super duper ones. Because I've used one, and it was mediocre at best. It was silent, that was great about it, but that was the only thing I liked about it. Well, the silence and the magnet mount. Other than that, I was pretty disappointed with the skimmer's performance.

I found that I could only get moderate amounts of light tea colored skimmate. Never any particles that the Aquaticlife 115 gets, and much lighter colored skimmate than the AL115. But I hope you're able to dial it in and get it to perform admirably. I love Tunze in general, but I was disappointed by the 9001.

Back