Suggestions on Building Spongeless GFO/Carbon Reactor

Confuse

I have borrowed elements from various reactors I've admired over time, but simply did not have the functionality I needed (Avast Spyglass, Innovative Marine MiniMax reactor, Ultra Reef Media Reactor, etc.)

So long story short...

I have a PVC base that I will be connecting to the PVC fitting and clear pvc tube pictured which will feed the reactor from the bottom and overflow at the top. I am trying to eliminate sponges. So I need the flow to travel up and hit something to push it down onto the base and then up the reactor.

Here is what I tried and did not succeed with...

Attempt #1

1 1/2" Cap and 1 1/2" to 3/4" reducer drilled from the bottom

7d53390aabf6f6d7a02ed981b2cd6472.jpg

4819ce2413beab8f3e71c0509fffbb38.jpg

Outcome: The cap was too wide (almost the diameter of the base, so the GFO got clogged on the sides.

Attempt #2

PVC 3/4" threaded adapter and strainer

198962.jpg

Outcome: The strainer did not create enough flow to push water out effectively

Potential Attempt #3

20140730144324_286.jpg

Outcome: I can't source these in the US. They're all made in China and require large quantities.

I've been looking into using a smaller PVC size from attempt #1, but the reducing bushings in smaller sizes don't have that gap around them that the bigger sizes do, which is where I drilled the old fitting to have the water escape through.

The other option I'm looking into is making some cuts in the PVC in a way that it will create the flow I need.

Ideally, the flow should come from the top and them push down on the base and travel up the reactor like a recirculating reactor (minus the 90 degree elbow drilled into the reactor feeding the pump).

So I need your help and suggestions! Large strainers won't work because the GFO will just fall through them, so the trick is to just have the GFO tumbling in a "recirculating" fashion, minus the external pump.

This is how the GFO should tumble and how the flow should travel, ideally.

hqdefault.jpg

But remove the elbow and pretend the water is coming up from the base and then travels down to tumble the media, then the water exits out the top of the reactor.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

NOTE: In order for the GFO not to drain down the bottom when the cartridge piece is picked up from the base, I created a "check ball valve" thing that will plug the hole when the piece is lifted.

c64846042f289c9977044e8aa1f5f537.jpg

Original thread here: http://www.socalireefs.com/forums/s...-Cartridge-GFO-Media-Reactor-(Feedback-Needed)

You could put the carbon/gfo in a media bag inside the reactor. simple....

I considered that too, but I really want to strive for freely suspended media. I think that if I find the right nozzle/piece to tumble the media properly, I would dread maintenance much less. lol I'm a lazy reefer!

I considered that too, but I really want to strive for freely suspended media. I think that if I find the right nozzle/piece to tumble the media properly, I would dread maintenance much less. lol I'm a lazy reefer!

First, you dont want to tumble carbon because it will break it down. For GFO... meh, its absolutely not needed. Many just put GFO passively in a bag in their sump, not even in reactors and report good success. The same goes for carbon. In fact many have created more problems trying to run these in reactors because it strips too fast/furious compared with passive method. IMO I think you are overthinking this. Either throw them in separate bags in the same reactor (I do this), or just get media bags and toss them in a high flow area of your sump.

Back