sumo or gorilla glue reef safe?

dabears1983

hi everyone,

I just visited home depot, and I saw 2 new glues on the market. Sumo glue and gorilla glue. Im sure people have used these in wooodworking. they are great for glueing anything even yourself. gorilla glue swells up when it dries and sumo dries in like 3 minutes. has anyone tried it on corals? I wanted to talk to some people before I try it in my reef. they seem quick and they would be good for corals like sps with the uneven surfaces. any comments would be appreciated and advice. would it be safe for corals? and fish?

Thanks everyone
Kathy

glues for corals

glues for corals

you guys just looked and no one answered me...... can I please have some feed back from someone.... I dont want to use something in my tank if it is not safe. please reply.
:mad:

I think most people are very intrested in this question, but like myself, really dont know the answer.
What are the ingredients?

thanks for the reply.:D I have used super glue gel and it just dries real slow and you have to wait till its set before putting the coral back in the tank. I am looking for a new or faster way to do this and a way for us to less stress out the corals. this could be the next alternitive.

some of the ingredience are as follows....the warning reads as follows. keep out of reach of children and animals. harmful or fatal if swallowed. contains prepolymized MDI,diphenylmethane-4,diisocyanate.. thats all the ingredience or warnings that are listed.

Gorilla Glue takes A LOT longer to dry than super glue. I haven't tried mounting frags with it, but I've used it for other things on/in my tank. I'd stick with the super glue gel.

I think Gorilla Glue is some type of polyurethane. Unfortunately I have no idea if that's reef safe. As EricInFL said, it takes a long time to dry (3 - 4 hours with pressure).

According to Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyurethane#Glue

Polyurethane is used as an adhesive, especially as a woodworking glue. Its main advantage over more traditional wood glues is its water resistance. It was introduced in the general North American market in the 1990s as Gorilla Glue and Excel, but has been used much longer in Europe.

So maybe some of the Europeans on RC might have some experience with something like Gorilla glue in their tanks.

Back