Sump layout

Psykie

Hi,

I'm trying to plan the most efficient sump layout. My sump is 3'x1'x1', so its not very high. These are 3 different setups i've got in mind:

sump1-1.gif

Tying to include a DSB here since i've only got 10'' to work with

sump2-1.gif

More tradtional layout

sump3-1.gif

I guess this will give me more flow control over the refrugium

Will a 6''+ DSB be worth including?
Which will be more efficient in filtering the water?
Whats your setup?

Cheers
Psykie

I like your third setup with some changes. Add bubble trap after skimmer and move DSB to be after cheato.

I'm trying to figure-out now if I go with a DSB in my fuge or do the bucket DSB.

you really want your return section to be larger than in any of those drawings, because that's where the level will drop with evaporation...

yes, goo pint xpxdx though i forgot to mention that i'm going to have a auto top off in the return section.

drparker, what would be the difference if the DSB goes after the cheato? Do you think sand will get into my return if setup like that?

thanks guys

i choose whats behind door number 2

skimmer - fuge - return

have my sump set up like this and feel its an efficient way to do it... the chaeto/macro will break up any bubbles produced... then you have a larger DSB to do its work then the return - what more could one want?

also if you add a phosphate reactor
(recom a phosp reactor if dont already have one) best to put the reactor pump in the return side (the cleanest side) then run the outlet of the reactor over back to the skimmer side (or dirtiest side) - this way the reactor media lasts longer.

havent seen too many sumps
where one has tried to create separate areas for both dsb and macro - separate from each other that is... having both in one works well together

good luck - will probably get many opinions on this- this was just mine fwiw.

regards

Last edited:
By separating your flow you can have a slower flow go through the fuge section, my first two fuges were skimmer - fuge - return my third fuge is split drain with return in the middle so 75% of the flow goes to the skimmer. You put the DSB after the fuge so the Cheato and other living things get all the nutrients before the DSB removes some, DSBs remove Nitrates Cheato feeds on Nitrates and Phosphates.

My new one has three chambers with the return in the middle and the drain split with ball valve to help adjust the flow. I have not decided if fuge section will have DSB under the cheato or if I'll put the DSB in an external 5g bucket.

here's where I got the idea for the fuge and for the Remote DSB

#1 or #2 and get rid of the bubble trap. Keep the source of bubbles and the return as far apart as possible. Keep the bubbles on the surface to dissipate and dont pull them down into the sump. Just have a single baffle between sections all the same height. If you want a DSB, you need #1. #2 is a SSB.

to small to have your skimmer in the receiving area. I think it will make your skimmer act up from the splashing

Another important consideration is to make sure you have enough reserve capacity in the sump to hold the water that drains back from the display when power is off.

I wouldn't do it that way for a couple of reasons

The return pump is right next to the skimmer and drain. This is not a good idea because of microbubbles getting sucked into the return area. The O-U baffle makes that problem worse.

The display drain right into the fuge will cause a lot of detritus to settles there turning it into a mess.

Hi sjm,

Thanks for the pointers. Though if the display drain goes trough the skimmer first, will it leave enough "nutrients" for the cheato to feed on?

cheers

If cheato doesn't grow, isn't that a good thing? For what I know you want it there to suck up what your skimmer is not.

Yes, there is plenty left over to "feed" the fuge. The skimmer section does not filter all the water going through it, and doesnt remove everything. If the water was perfectly clean, why would you need the fuge anyway? The fuge is another stage of filtration after the first section.

Back