Sump Light Review

Snookster

Thought I'd share an observation I've made using a red LED grow light to grow macro algae.

I've been fighting high nutrients as of late, my skimmer has not been very efficient lately (and probably over feeding a bit too), so I've has some chaeto in my sump on a reverse light schedule lit with a 100w equivalent ~2700k CFL to try to consume some of the nasty stuff. I started getting tired of the light trespass from the sump in the middle of the night - I'm one of those who need DARK rooms. I got to thinking about switching to a red grow light. I've read where people who run ATS' seem to get better results with red LEDs, so I found one on Amazon and ordered it.

After 2 weeks, I'm pretty sure the growth rate has doubled. I went to prune some this morning and removed somewhere between a softball and volleyball sized clump. I've grown chaeto on and off over the years and have never seen it grow like this. Before, I would remove about a softball size chunk - once a month, maybe.

Is it this light making the nutrient uptake more efficient? Lighting alone won't make the stuff grow, the plant does require nutrients to grow. But it appears to certainly grow much faster with this light. I've also noticed some of the bubble algae I have in the tank turning from green to translucent (getting out competed?).

I have been running a grow light as well, and the results are insane on the grow rate. However, I too over feed and notice a bit of nitrates. My skimmer is a beast and I just put eco system mud in the refugium so I am hoping that will help. But I get about a 5 gallon bucket full of cheato once a month. I like to keep it around the size of a grapefruit or so when I trim it.

-Robert

Maybe I'm just dim witted, but I can't find anything to use a bulb like this in my sump. Lol. Any clamp on mounts or similiar sockets? What are you guys using for a bulb socket/ gooseneck type rig?

Maybe I'm just dim witted, but I can't find anything to use a bulb like this in my sump. Lol. Any clamp on mounts or similiar sockets? What are you guys using for a bulb socket/ gooseneck type rig?

I'm using the good ole clamp-on reflector from HD. I have a piece of wood at the top of my sump I can clamp it to.

I'm using the good ole clamp-on reflector from HD. I have a piece of wood at the top of my sump I can clamp it to.
And here I thought I was the only high tech user. šŸ˜† And Thanks to you and BrayanS4 . I thought maybe someone was sporting something more than the ole clamp reflector from HD. Guess I'll grab that one I stashed somewhere in the garage.

And here I thought I was the only high tech user. �� And Thanks to you and BrayanS4 . I thought maybe someone was sporting something more than the ole clamp reflector from HD. Guess I'll grab that one I stashed somewhere in the garage.

You can always get it chromed...

I just bought one too, figured for that price it's worth a shot. Noticed my chaeto has just kind of stalled out on growth, not dying but not growing. Maybe this will make a difference, if anything I'll like the red glow compared to the white at night :)

So, i picked up a clamp on at harbor freight. Paid 4.99 for a led flood bulb on clearance at hd. Ecosmart 5k 75 watt equivalent. 13.5watt 985 lumens.
I picked up some healthy chaeto from jaylensdad.
Its been maybe two weeks or just under.

Wow is all i can say. It doubled size at least! Thick and huge! Before i had a small led jbj and this cheap twenty dollar setup is bang on! Thanks for the idea of the cheap clamp on guys.��

I just plucked a good amount off and I swear its grown back already! Apparently lighting is making a big difference.

So, I'm curious what ppl have to say...

Ppl have switched to the red leds/bulb, and the chaeto has taken off...

But is the chaeto taking up more nutrients, or just benefitting from the red wave length of the light?

Imo, it's not taking up more nutrients and the amount of nutrient export is still the same (for the most part), its just growing faster because of the better wavelength of the bulb.

Again, just my opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I went this route because I've been battling bubble algae and the chaeto was not winning. So after reading some time ago where a discussion on ATS systems using red LEDs grew the algae faster, I decided to try a grow light to see what would happen. IMO the algae, no matter the type should only grow if there are nutrients. How fast it grows likely depends on the availability of said nutrients.

What I've observed after 6 weeks is:

* The bubble algae is no longer spreading and what's there is turning translucent (lack of nutrients?)

* I'm removing insane amounts if chaeto every week (last week was volleyball size)

* my nightly PH fluctuations have minimized (would go as low as 7.8, now only 8 to 8.1)

* My corals appear to be having issues now with possible low nutrient issues (I have another thread call zoa health to discuss that) - I've started feeding heavier and lessening the lighting period in the sump to try to actually RAISE the nutrients and slow the uptake a bit.

So, my conclusion based on my completely unscientific observations - the red LED lamp INCREASES nutrient uptake and efficiency much better than any white lamp.

So, I'm curious what ppl have to say...

Ppl have switched to the red leds/bulb, and the chaeto has taken off...

But is the chaeto taking up more nutrients, or just benefitting from the red wave length of the light?

Imo, it's not taking up more nutrients and the amount of nutrient export is still the same (for the most part), its just growing faster because of the better wavelength of the bulb.

Again, just my opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Since phosphate is an energy source for the chaeto and more of it requires more energy, more phosphate should be consumed for it to grow.

Back