Sump/Refugium Design Feedback

Curl58

Here is my Sump/Refugium design layout. Please give me your thoughts before I start putting in the baffles. I have a large skimmer so the skimmer section is a little larger to make it easier. I also have it set so the water level in the skimmer section would always remain at 10 1/4". From what I have found, my skimmer water level should be between 9 1/2" and 11". I will have a small pump which will sit in the return area, go to a bio pellet reactor and then will return in to the refugium area.

new_sump.JPG

Last edited:
You need to drop the third baffle in the bubble trap from 16in to 10 1/4in. Right now if you filled it up, your skimmer section would fill to 16in. Probably don't need the first set of bubble traps either, no need to hide bubbles from your skimmer ;).

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Also I believe you would be better served having the biopellet return exit as close to the skimmer intake as possible.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

+1 on all of above. No need for the first set of bubble traps at the drain (intake) line. Use that space to either enlarge the return section if needed (it needs to be able to take all the run-off when the pumps are turned off) or the refugium. The 16" high baffle at the return section needs to be lowered to 10-1/4" or your skimmer water line will be at 16". I actually prefer it that way and would build a platform out of egg crate to raise the skimmer to the appropriate height. That would increase your total water volume a little and allow you to throw some additional live rock under the skimmer platform.

Back