sump/refugium

saltydude

I want to turn my sump into a refugium. I do not however want to put sand in it. Will just macro algae work? What wattage light do I need?
Any suggestions and questions are appreciated.

sand is a little more work. I would suggest using cheato and some live rock. any kind of workshop lamp should work well. If possible, allow the cheato at least a 6 hour lights off time period

I can put it on the same cycle as my tank lights. They are on 12 hours a day. I hear it is better to have your ref lights on the opposite cycle as your main tank lights, but I also hear it doesnt matter.

light cycle

light cycle

I believe it is probably better to have the fuge lights on opposite of the DT lights because it helps keep more of a stable PH level, someone correct me if I'm wrong

Lowes also has fluorescent bulbs with K values on box. Found a 14 watt bulb equal to 60 watt blub at 6500k. Cheato grows like crazy

The advantages of the reverse light cycle are as follows:

- The growth of algae regulates and buffers PH
- The growth of algae increases oxygen redox potential
- The growth of algae increases available oxygen in the water and reduces CO2 concentration
-The growth of algae removes nitrates, phosphates and some metals

All this in mind, with the lights on reverse of the display, the conditions at night are allowed to improve due to the growth of the algae, allowing time for the fish and other creatures to reap the benefits as well while not in the stress of day lit life.

Back