sump size

just woundering what size sump i would need for my 75gal?
also my tank is not drillled so i would go HOB also the biggest problem i have is the stand. the center brace on the stand is in the middle wna between that and the next brace is 11" wide so i would need something that is less the 11'' wide. i was woundering if i could make almost like a bench next to my tank hiding the sump? would this work? pluming would not be tough just long horizontly and not vertically.
any advice would be appreicated. thanks

The bigger the sump the better. If your 75gal is not filled yet, could you slide a sump from the back. It would be fine on the side as long as your pump is strong enough to pump it back. Just my opinion. Good luck.

the only problem is the braces in the back and front in the middle are only 11" apart i know the trick of sliding it in the back its just the width of the smallest part of the stand in the middle is only 11''

yes the tank is running
the problem is not putting in a sump the problem is finding one that will fit into the space? 11''
any one have any suggestions? or would it be better if i put it off to the side and make a cover for it such as a bench?

A friend of mine has a 20 gallon high under the stand facing perpendicular to the display tank. It hangs out the back of the stand towards his wall. There is not a lot of room to work/access the sump, but it works. He has a 55.

theres really only 1 rule when deciding on a sump.

it must hold enough water so that in the event that your power goes out the overflow from the tank will not flood it.

You could consider a remote location like a nearby closet, garage, storage room, etc... I have mine in a closet and it works out great. It makes it nice when I need to service any equipment or something along those lines. It also allows me to run a much larger sump/fuge then I would be able to if it were under my tank.
An added benefit is that the equipment is muffled by the closet so it's extra quiet :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12209475#post12209475 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Playa-1
You could consider a remote location like a nearby closet, garage, storage room, etc... I have mine in a closet and it works out great. It makes it nice when I need to service any equipment or something along those lines. It also allows me to run a much larger sump/fuge then I would be able to if it were under my tank.
An added benefit is that the equipment is muffled by the closet so it's extra quiet :)

this is what i was thinking just having it right beside the tank in a custom made bence or something. there is not enough room between the wall and my stand for anything other then a 10gal. im wanting something between a 20 long and a 40gal.. but with the 11'' width between braces its hard to find out what to do and also i live in an apartment so drilling holes in the wall is out of the question.......

Back